Do you need help with that?

He turned the key to lock his trailer, then looked at his watch. Way past ten o'clock. No wonder he seemed to be the last forgotten soul on the studio lot. He was starving and he was tired. He had been shooting the last scenes of the day, and then it had taken the make-up team unusually long to get the prosthetics of burned and scarred skin off his leg. It's almost as if that stuff was starting to cling to him more and more, not wanting to let go. Just like he did not want to let go. He wasn't ready yet to shoot the last episode. Man, they had barely begun filming, hadn't they? All those weeks, months, that he had been looking forward to this incredible project, this role, and working with all these amazing people, even during a global pandemic, and just like that, it was almost over, in a flash. Boom!

He looked left, looked right, but there was no one to be seen. Like a schoolboy hiding from his parents, he sneaked out a pack of cigs and lit one up to take a deep pull, then blew out the smoke in thick circles, framing the half moon high up in the sky above him. The evening air was already unusually hot for spring in LA and heavy with the scent of flowers. He never used to smoke, but now he had to, occasionally, on camera for this role. And he had taken quite a liking to it! Not often, but every once in a while, like after a long, strenuous day of filming, it helped him calm his nerves and fast forward his transition from 1949 back to 2021.

He sat on the stairs of his trailer to finish his cigarette, ensuring that he could properly wear his mask while leaving the premises and heading to his car. On his way out, he saw a light shining onto the driveway winding through the studio blocks from one of the rooms that were reserved for the, let's say, more acclaimed colleagues in his cast.

What the heck was she still doing here this late? He peeked through the window, then knocked at the door and opened it slowly.

„Lana?"

She looked up, startled, her long dark curls framing her face. „Oh, hey!", she replied, hoarse and slightly out of breath.

„Holy sh...", he exhaled, covering his mouth with his hand while looking around at that sea of flowers, chocolates, stuffed animals and other gifts surrounding his cast mate. „That's even more than yesterday, isn't it?"

„Yeah, it is...", she couldn't help, but laugh, „Isn't that incredible?"

„It sure is! Anyway, what are you still doing here, it's past ten o'clock?"

„Well, what do you think? I need to make some room, they were already telling me that there's even more to come tomorrow, so... and the dressers made it very clear to me that yes, it's adorable, and yes, I do have the most amazing fans in the world, but also, this situation is complicating their lives more than they would need for the last few weeks of filming. So I want to see if I can get some of this home to my place tonight, at least."

His eyes widened. „And how's that supposed to work? How much even fits in your car? You need an entire truck for this, maybe two! How often do you want to make the back and forth?"

She looked around, helpless, and all of a sudden it was as if all energy had left her body all at once. „I know... I don't know, but... I have to take care of this somehow! Everybody is so sweet and lovely and I..."

„Hey hey hey!", he stepped over Lola, her dog, lying on the floor between all the flowers, dozing, grabbed her gently by the arms, moved her over to the couch where there was one last tiny spot left and sat her down. „It's all good, don't worry! I know you had one hell of a day, and you'll have another one tomorrow, you're tired, you're exhausted... You shouldn't be dealing with this right now. You should go home, eat something and get some sleep."

„I know, but I can't leave it like this! Even though I have a feeling that all I've been doing for the past hour is just moving things from left to right."

„How about your assistant, where is she?"

„Are you insane? I sent her home hours ago. She's already been working overtime all week, that poor woman deserves a life. It's not her fault that I'm a hot mess these days."

„Right. I'm sorry, I don't know how this assistant thing works", he smiled, then said, „Come on! I'll help you. You don't live too far from here, right? We'll load up both our cars, maybe we do a second round, and then there'll already be loads more space tomorrow, you'll see."

She shook her head. „Oh, no no, that's really sweet of you, but this is my situation, I don't want to burden you with this! You should go home and rest, it's late!"

„Well, I insist! I won't leave you here like this. And I... can't believe I'm saying this, please don't take it the wrong way, but you don't look so good right now. Let me help you out!... Please?"

She looked at him, then sighed and finally smiled. „Why, you truly are the good guy, aren't you? Even though your charm could use some polish, Mr. Loomis. That's no way to speak to a fucking lady!"

She got up from the couch with a long exhale, stretching, mentally and physically preparing herself for the task ahead. „Alright then, let's go!"