Who is she?

„How are you doing today?", his first scene partner of the day, BK, who played his wife Dee on the show, shot him a warm smile from behind the plastic shield covering her face that they all had to wear pretty much whenever they were moving around on set among other people. „If you don't mind me saying, you seem a little out of it today."

She was right. He had busted nearly every single take this morning and he seemed to barely remember any of his lines. He seemed distracted, as if his mind was somewhere else completely. If she only knew... His thoughts weren't too far away though, just in the studio next door where Lana was filming.

He grabbed one of the Starbuck's cups that the catering team regularly supplied them with and grabbed a chocolate donut, then sat down at a table in the rec room. She went for coffee as well, together with a turkey sandwich, and sat down next to him. Both took off their protective shields, they were alone.

„No worries, you're right. I didn't sleep at all last night."

„Oh no! Why not? Too much on your mind?"

She put a hand on the back of his shoulder in a gesture that was supposed to be comforting, but he winced and pulled back immediately.

„Gosh, I'm sorry! What's wrong?"

„Nothing, it's just a scratch..."

„On your shoulder? From where?"

She pulled aside the vintage vest that his character, private investigator Vern Loomis, was so fond of wearing, and saw three fine lines on his skin shining through his white shirt. One of them even seemed to have opened up and left specks of brown, dried blood on the fabric.

„Jesus, what did you do?? Does it hurt?"

„Well... if you're asking me directly, a little, yeah", he replied, but a dreamy smile on his lips betrayed him.

All of a sudden her eyes widened and she gasped. „Wait a minute, did you have sex last night? Is that why you didn't sleep?"

He sighed, then couldn't help but smile even broader remembering last night. „Yeah..."

„With who?? Wolverine?"

„A woman with long fingernails, apparently."

„Wow!", she sat back down on her chair and leaned forward, hyper excited all of a sudden with a curious sparkle in her eyes, „I didn't know you were seeing someone! Is she your new girlfriend?"

„No, she's not my girlfriend, and no, I'm not seeing anyone. She's just a woman I spent the night with, that's all."

She frowned and shook her head. „No, I don't believe you. There's more. You're not the ONS type of guy."
„Sorry to disappoint."

„Will you see her again?"

„Well, I see her anyway on a regular basis, but in that sense... I don't know. Probably not."

He looked and sounded sadder than he had intended to. She didn't fail to notice. „Why not? You... you do have feelings for her, don't you?"

„Feelings? No. Feelings is a bit much. But yes, I care about her. She means something to me. She... she's special."

She nodded and patted his hand with a beaming smile. „Then why leave it at one night? Doesn't she feel the same way about you?"
„I have absolutely no idea, to be honest. But, I don't think she does. I can't imagine. In any case, I'd doubt she'd want to repeat it. She made it pretty clear to me that she didn't want to speak of it again."
„But why, I don't understand, you're such a great guy?"

„You would understand if you who she is. We don't belong together, she's miles and miles out of my league. She's a fucking lady, you know?"
„Really?"

He didn't respond, but downed the last bit of his coffee instead. Then he murmured. „I'm not even sure she enjoyed being with me."

Now BK had to laugh. „Oh, trust me... she did. And how! Those scratch marks? Excuse me, but those look like you gave her the ride of a lifetime."

His heart skipped a beat, he blushed and even caught himself smiling slightly with pride. „You think so?"
„Definitely. Don't worry. I bet she's still daydreaming of you. Who is it?? Do you have a picture?"

He put back his face shield and got up from his chair. „See you back on stage, BK."

„Noooo, come one, who is this magic mystery woman who got the cool as a cucumber Jordane Christie so worked up? Do I know her?"

„See you!", he repeated walking past her, snagging one more donut on his way out, throwing it up in the air and catching it with one hand, leaving her hanging in suspense. „I'll tell you some time. You might even laugh about it!"