Do I smell... fear?

„Goodbye, baby, you be a good little puppy!", she was cuddling her dog, giving him a kiss and letting him lick all over her face, hands and arms.

Levi didn't even know what to do with all his excitement, he was jumping, barking, panting and wagging his tail as if his life depended on it. He had so much enjoyed taking a long walk through the hills with his mom, his big sister Lola, and he loved – LOVED – Jordane, just like she had predicted.

„See ya later, big boy, take care!", he squatted down to pet him goodbye, Levi jumped at him and almost pushed him over.

Lana had to laugh. „Careful, Levi, let daddy go in one piece, huh?"

„No worries, all good." He looked up to her and smiled. Did she just call him ‚daddy'? Had she realized?

When he was almost about to lay down on the floor to play with the excited young dog who did absolutely not want to let them go, she gently put a hand on his back. „Come on, babe, let's go. I know it's hard to resist to that cute little face, but you have to be strong!"

When he finally got up again, she wrapped her arms around his waist, smiled at him and gave him a kiss, before putting her mask back on and saying goodbye to Levi's caretakers.

He was quite surprised by this public display of affection, not just in front of complete strangers like at the restaurant yesterday, but this time also here with these people who knew who she was and whom she was obviously seeing and engaging with more regularly.

„Come on, Lola, say goodbye to Levi!"

The older dog was still sniffing her younger brother up and down, then the two of them went after each other's rear ends in circles for a few rounds, and only when Lana called Lola's name once more, did she break off and ran after them with a conforming bark.

She checked her watch. „It's just after six... what now? Sun's going down soon."

„I don't know. Are you hungry?"

„Yes and no", she thought for two seconds, then her eyes lit up, „Oh!! I got an idea. But... please don't think I'm crazy."
He laughed. „Too late! Just kidding, why would I think that?"
„There's something I've been really craving to do for a while now, even though during ‚normal' times I never go there."

„What is it?"

„I read today that Santa Monica Pier reopened."

„Ooooh, nice! I could have a corn dog and a funnel cake."

She gasped: „Or a burger! Pier Burger is, like, so good!"

„Maybe we can even hop on a ride or two? Or are you scared?"

„Don't insult me, baby, we were just starting to have such a good time!"

***

First, they made their way to the gigantic ferris wheel overlooking the pier. The sun was just going down, the timing was perfect! As they were sitting in their pod going higher and higher, he pulled her into his arms and she rested her head against his chest, entangling her fingers with his while they were admiring the sun setting into the ocean on the horizon. On the other side, millions and millions of lights were starting to light up the streets of the City of Angels, their chosen home. It was a truly breathtaking and romantic view. Eventually, she looked at him, just to find she instantly met his gaze right into her eyes.

„You're not even enjoying the view", she stated softly with a smile.

„Oh, trust me... I am. Very much."

He leaned in to kiss her and she kissed him back completely forgetting their surroundings for a while.

„You're shivering", he whispered against her lips, touching the cold skin on her arms, and he was just about to take off his shirt – even though he was himself not wearing anything underneath – when she stopped him by shaking her head.