So that's how rich people travel, huh?

She stood in front of the check-in counter of American Airlines, her gaze roaming the other passengers and passersby, her heart beating a little faster with each gentleman who bore even minimal resemblance to him. A sliver of doubt was left in her mind: was this a terrible idea and the setup to a disastrous few days that would leave them loathing each other for good?

The thrill of anticipation was far greater though. Four days of sun, palm trees swaying in the breeze, ukulele sounds, white sandy beaches, soft waves, fresh seafood and cocktails, massages and relaxation, breathtaking sunsets and just as breathtaking nights with him... Everything else would remain to be seen. Maybe Antoinette was right. Maybe this timeout away from everything would do them well, readjusting their systems and setting them up on a new life path – together or not.

She checked her watch once more, he was already almost fifteen minutes late. He wouldn't stand her up, would he?? Then, finally, she heard his voice coming towards her from the side, slightly out of breath and muffled underneath his mask. „Hey! Oh my God, I'm so sorry, traffic was a nightmare, you'd think there's not that many people heading to the airport during a pandemic, but..."

They shared a short and cautious hug, all they could do sticking to the airport's COVID guidelines and not drawing too much attention.

She shook her head. „No worries, there's still time. Is that all your luggage?"

He looked down at his duffle bag and shrugged. „Yeah? Bathing shorts, a nice shirt and pants for the evening, slippers... That's it no?" She could tell he was grinning underneath his mask. „I'm surprised you don't take more than that? Or did you hide the rest of your luggage somewhere?"

She proudly lifted up her chin and tapped her suitcase. „Nope, that's all! If you pack smart, you don't need much and will still look fabulous every day."

„That's what I'm saying."

„Well then, shall we go check in?"
She reached for his hand heading towards the business class counter that had almost no queue. He hesitated. „I... do you fly business class?"

She nodded. „You don't?"

He slowly shook his head. „I guess I see you later then?"

„What?? Don't be ridiculous, we're not both going to fly alone, the whole point of this trip is us being together! I'm sure we can still upgrade you. Come on!"

„Good morning, ma'am! How are you doing today?"
„Good morning, I'm great, thank you! Flying to Honolulu." Lana slid her passport underneath the glass at the counter.

„Nice!"

„I got a question, actually. This gentleman here is flying economy on the same flight, I was wondering whether there was still room in business class?"

The lady checked in her computer. „Uhm, let me see... yes, sure, we can upgrade you, sir."

Jordane shook his head, obviously uncomfortable with the situation. „It's okay, I don't want... I don't need to..."

„Of course you want to, it's fine, baby", Lana said, „Don't worry, I'll pay for the upgrade, no problem."

She pulled out her credit card and handed it to the lady at the check-in counter.

She wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head against his shoulder as they were waiting in line for the security check. He held her tight and gently ran his hand across her back now and then. She could hear his heart beating with the sweet and innocent excitement of going on the first vacation together as a new couple, a tingling sensation that she felt too, sending a comforting feeling of warmth as well as adrenaline through her entire body. Was this just the first of many trips they would be taking together, or rather the first and last, the beginning of the end?