Why don't you come back home to Atlanta with us?

[A/N: So this is it... chapter 50! I can't believe I made it this far! And I probably wouldn't have without the encouragement from those of you who love reading and following this story, most of all 00DeaTacita00 and Seana_memories 🙌🙏

The latter has actually inspired the second part of this chapter. It wasn't planned and initially I wasn't sure how it would go, but I have to say, I'm quite happy how it turned out and I'm glad I managed to include it last minute ☺️]

---------------------------------------

His nostrils flared as he took a deep breath, inhaling the salty ocean breeze, and for a few seconds he closed his eyes. The regular sound of the waves crashing against the shore calmed his soul. In the end, this place had turned out to be even more beautiful and perfect than he had hoped it would be. But no beautiful villa, no pool, no hot tub and no breathtaking ocean sunset view could make up for what was missing. Or rather, who...

„Hey, sweetie!"

He turned around when he heard his mother's voice as she stepped out onto the patio. „Hey, good morning!"

„Good morning! You're up early? Here, I made you some coffee."

„Thanks!", he took the mug from her and took just a tiny sip because it was still quite hot, „Yeah, I, uhm... I couldn't sleep anymore. Haven't been sleeping well in a while."

She nodded and gently stroked his back. „I'm sorry, Jordane."

He sighed and turned back to look out at the sea. „No, you're not."

„Well, I'm sorry that you're hurting! I didn't know...", she sighed, „I can't say I'm unhappy that she broke up with you. She did the right thing. But I didn't think it would hit you that hard."

„How the hell not?! I told you how much I loved her! She was... she was the one for me, you know? There was a special bond between us... and still is. Despite everything, I still feel connected to her, somehow. She was the most special woman I have ever met."

Jacqueline nodded. „She is a great woman for sure, please don't think I can't see that! She's insanely beautiful, she's smart, she's kind, she's funny, she's obviously extremely successful, accomplished and confident. But she was not the one for you, Jordane. Maybe as a friend, or as a mentor, even... but not more than that."

„Yeah, well... right now, it rather looks like she's not going to be either, so..."

„Heeey, buddy!!", his two older brothers, Donovan and Duane came jumping out onto the patio in their bathing shorts, laughing, „You coming for a dip in the sea?"

„Nah, I'm good, thanks. You go ahead!"

His brothers stopped in their tracks on the way towards the stairs leading down from the villa directly onto the most exclusive part of Laguna Beach.

„Hey, what's with the long face?", said Donovan.

„Nothing! Just leave me alone."

„Leave you to sulk all by yourself?", said Duane, „Uh-uh, brother... you've already done that all day yesterday. Today it's time to have some fun!"

„I don't know", he looked around. Looked at the villa he had rented out for the weekend. For her birthday. Looked at the sun kissed cliffs around, the beach where he had been wanting to play with Lola and Levi, his two step babies. The ocean that she loved so much.

„Actually, to be honest, I think about going home."

„What?!", asked his brothers and his mom all at once.

„It's just too painful being here! I mean, we were supposed to be here together... Everything I look at, everything that's beautiful reminds me of her."