How about some pancakes?

„Got any plans for Easter on Sunday?", she asked on the way.

„Yeah! Meeting a few folks... My brother's in town. Nothing fancy though. I won't make it home to Atlanta this time, so I'll just keep it low key. You?"

„I'll be over at my aunt Candy's house, together with my mom and Trish, my best friend. She used to live with me during the early weeks of quarantine. I know this sounds like a weird and, like, not fun at all combo, but trust me, together they're a riot, you'd like them!"
„Well, you were right about me liking your dog, so, I'll trust you on this. Should I ever meet them, that is."

For a second there she was about to ask him whether he'd want to join them, at least for a bit, but luckily she could bite her tongue just in time before any such thought could come out. As much as she'd love having him there, that would have been a terrible idea! They should try and keep their affair separated as much as possible from whatever else was going on in their lives and from whoever else was part of it. And how should she introduce him to her mom and aunt Candy? As her 28-year old lover? They'd fear she might have lost her mind for good, and for good reason...

She unlocked her car and let Lola hop in, then walked around the hood to the driver's seat and opened the door. „You follow me? Or you already know the way by heart, back to my place?"

He had stopped at his car that was parked in front of hers and made an apologetic face. „To be honest... I really, really need to go home, at least for a few hours. I need to change my clothes and I have some stuff to take care of, emails to sort out and things like that. I'm sorry! But I haven't been home and taking care of my shit for almost three days now, and I hadn't exactly planned on beginning an affair with you and staying over at your place when I left for work on Wednesday morning."

„Oh my God, I'm so sorry, of course! You're totally right. Has it been that long already?"
He smiled and nodded. „Time flies!" Even though on the other hand, they both felt as if this thing between them had already been going on for years.

„Mind if I come with you, actually? Don't worry, not for long, I don't want to distract you, I'll leave you alone, but I'd love to just take a quick look at your place. I have no idea how you live, I'm curious!"

He almost managed to act casual, but a quick scratch of his neck betrayed him, the very gesture he always made, unconsciously, whenever he was feeling mildly uncomfortable. But then he said: „Sure, be my guest! Just be warned... like I said, I haven't been home in a while and I don't quite remember the state of my place when I left it. It might not be too bad, but since I didn't expect any visitors..."

She had to laugh at how cute he was. „It's alright, baby, I really don't care if your place is a mess. I'm not your mom, remember?"

„No, indeed... Thank God!"

She couldn't hide her surprise when she pulled up into his driveway behind him and got out of her car. „You live in a house? I could have sworn you're a condo guy."

„Yeah? Well... I don't know, I like to have something to myself, and I like the area! It's quiet here, it's small, but it's all mine. So, uhm... if you don't mind, could you just give me like, five minutes of head start? That would make me feel so much better."

She smiled. „Of course! I'll wait out here. Or maybe I can check out your backyard in the meantime?"

„Yeah, please, go ahead!"

He ran inside and searched through the rooms, eliminating all that needed immediate attention, but thankfully, aside from an unmade bed, a few stray clothes lying around here and there, some dirty dishes in the sink and a messy couch table full of papers, scripts and magazines it wasn't too bad. After five minutes sharp he opened the back door for her.