... And you must be our son's girlfriend?

He knocked on the frame of the open door to her bedroom. „Lana? I really don't want to be ‚that guy', but how long do you think you still need? I'm afraid if we don't leave in the next five minutes, we may seriously risk missing our flight. Apparently there's quite some traffic headed towards LAX."

She sighed. „I know, I'm sorry! I'm almost done."

„I thought you finished packing yesterday?"

„Packing, yes! But now it's about, what do I wear today? It's going to be my first impression after all. I don't want my outfit to scream ‚fourty-something' right away, but I also don't want to look like I'm trying too hard to look young."

The painful memory of Fred making fun of her youthful appearance and demeanor at that party earlier this week was still very much present in her mind, no matter how hard she tried to push it away or ignore it. Right now, she was wearing a simple white t-shirt, short but not too cropped, with a wide neckline so it hung off her left shoulder, revealing a black tank top she wore underneath. Her long hair fell open over her other shoulder, and her outfit was completed by a pair of jeans shorts – not as short as she had worn to the Pride party, but still a little bit sexy – and simple sandals.

She turned towards him to give him a better look. „What do you think?"

„You look amazing, baby!"

She raised an eyebrow. „Amazing? That's a bit much, don't you think?", she had to smirk despite her nervousness, „If you're gonna lie about it, at least try a bit harder to be more convincing."

„Well, what can I say?", he took a few steps towards her and wrapped his arms around her, giving her a gentle poke on the nose with his, „You're the most beautiful woman in the world to me, no matter what you wear, you know that. So if you want an honest answer to that question, I'm afraid you'll have to ask someone else. But I'm being serious! You look great, really!"

„The pants are not too short?"

He shook his head. „It's Atlanta in the middle of summer. If anything, you're wearing too much rather than too little."

He held out his hand, signaling that he'd much appreciate if she could finally break away from the mirror and her closet and leave with him before they were really too late.

„Alright then", she said with a sigh, „Let's go! Where's my suitcase?"

„Already waiting downstairs. Come on, let's hurry!"

They had dropped off Lola and Levi at a friend of hers yesterday already, so they were headed straight to the airport. Today, he was driving them, and she was thankful for it. Her mind was simply occupied with too many other things to be able to properly focus on the traffic.

„You're nervous?", he asked as he pulled onto the freeway.

She scoffed. „Of course, what do you think? I'm meeting your family?"

He grinned. „Wasn't it you who told me not to freak out just because I was meeting your mom and aunt Candy?"

„I know", she gently put her hand on his thigh, „I'm sorry, babe! But then, you know how I feel..."

„I do. I understand you, really, I do! And I'm going to tell you exactly what you told me. You'll be just fine, huh? Will they love you like a daughter right from the start? I don't know, to be fully honest. But whatever happens, they will come around eventually. I love you, and they'll see how happy I am thanks to you. And ultimately, they will accept that. They just have to."

She nodded, then turned her head to look out the window.

„By the way", he added, „I asked Shannon, my sister, to keep an eye out for you. Whenever I'm not available because I'm getting pulled away by my family or friends. She's my oldest sister, and she's... well, barely younger than you. I wouldn't want you to ever feel like you're left all to yourself. She's really nice and she's very much looking forward to meeting you! She's a huge fan of the show and she already loved you in ‚Once Upon A Time'."