Why don't you stay the night?

Eventually, they both sat on the couch, the pizza box full of steaming hot and cheesy deliciousness in front of them on the table, and clinked their glasses. „To whatever happens next!"

She snickered. „That's a good one."

He looked around. „You really have a beautiful home, Lana."

„Thank you!", she replied with a certain pride, „I really put in the effort to make it feel like home. My home. I've been away for so long filming ‚Once Upon A Time' in Canada, I've lived with my husband... ex husband and his sons. Somehow I had the feeling I lost myself somewhere along the way, you know what I mean? So this house I want to be one hundred percent me. Also the garden, too bad it was dark and you didn't really see the garden. Did you know that I planted..."

„... Dahlias?", he finished for her and grinned, „Yeah, you told me before. You told everyone. Multiple times."

She laughed. „Well, I still think it's hilarious. And I'm really proud, they're beautiful! I'll send you a picture. Anyway", she went for a slice of pizza, „Now that we've opened up the booze, let's get shameless and personal: how's the love life going? Is there a Mrs. Christie?" She looked down at his hand.

„Doesn't look like it. Is there a girlfriend at least? Not that you ever mentioned one."

„Nope", he shook his head, „Single, pringle... ready to mingle."

„Yeah, are you looking?"

„Well, not right now. I'm busy with the show and I'm fine as it is. But afterwards... I don't know. I've been single for a while, would be nice to be able to share my journey with someone."

„Looking for fun or looking to settle?"

„I don't know, both, I guess? I definitely want a family one day, the full cliché, marriage, a house with a picket fence and a dog, two or three kids... the whole nine yards. A simple life, but full of love."

She smiled. „I'm not surprised. You strike me as the sweet, romantic, family type."

„And how about you? How about that guy you're dating?"
„What guy am I dating?"

„Aren't you dating?"

„Am I dating? Why do you think I'm dating?"

„Well, I heard you talk about it in... well, you did this video session with your former colleague a while back and you mentioned you were dating."
„Oh geez, you mean that Live with Sean? That infamous Live? Oh gosh, don't remind me of that, please."

„Why not?"

She waved it off. „I don't want to talk about it... I said some things that were completely taken the wrong way. Anyway, let's just say, having fans who overthink every word, look and gesture is both a blessing and a curse. More importantly though, I do remember mentioning that I was dating – back then, by the way, that has been over for a while – but only, like, one sentence. Did you watch the whole thing?"

He took a sip of wine. „Maybe... maybe not."

She smirked. „I see... I'm impressed, Mr. Christie! Well, as I said, right now there is no guy."

„Why not? You don't want to?"

„No, I mean, similar to what you were saying, right now with work and all, it's totally fine as it is. I have enough to worry about and little enough time for myself as it is. I like to be able to focus on the job. Otherwise.... I don't know. There just aren't so many options either, you know, for women my age. It's not like men are exactly queuing in front of my door."

„That's a shame... they should be. I mean you, you must be the perfect woman? You're kind, passionate, funny, smart, you're insanely beautiful and, if I may say so, and blame it on the alcohol, you're smoking hot!"

He could see her lower her gaze for a moment and even blush a little, that compliment of his seemed to have struck right home.

„Oh, that's sweet of you to say. But I'm very far from perfect", she smiled, „And who are you to say? You're sweet as pie! You're charming, you're respectful, you're a true gentleman. There are so few men of your kind left in the world. And, don't think I didn't steal a look or two while you were changing that shirt, and honey, that's some impressive abs you got there!"

She raised an eyebrow and brushed the front of his shirt with her fingertips, leaving a tingling sensation in his belly as he was scratching his neck, flattered and self-conscious at the same time. The moment continued for a few more seconds while she was looking him in the eyes, a little longer than felt appropriate, the air around them feeling electrically charged all of a sudden.

Then she grabbed a garlic knot and carried on with the conversation: „Anyhow, I'm doing fine by myself. After my divorce I started enjoying the perks of the single life, if you know what I mean... Now that it's been a few years though, and especially having spent the longest part of this year in quarantine, I do get lonely at times. Sometimes I just wish someone was there and hold me. And sometimes..." She took another sip of her wine, then threw her head back, closing her eyes, resting her body against the back of the couch. „Man, I could really use getting laid. I haven't had any good sex in so long..."

He almost choked on his drink and was quick to put the glass back down. Instead, he reached for another slice of pizza, desperately trying to come up with a response to that confession.

She turned her head to look at him, then suddenly covered her face with her hands, embarrassed, chuckling. „Oh gosh, I think I'm already drunk... What did I just say? I really shouldn't be telling you this, that's so inappropriate, I'm so sorry!"

All of a sudden it came to him. He didn't know how. His head certainly was not involved in that decision, this was very much unlike him. Something just took over, and he could all but watch and listen to himself, partly in terror, partly cheering himself on.

He took one of her hands and gently pulled it away from her face, stroking the back of her hand with his thumb, forcing her to look it him. He looked directly into her eyes and smiled. One last swallow to calm his nerves, then he said. „For what it's worth, I can't promise you that it will be any good, but if you still want to give it a shot... I'm here now."