Let Me Explain!

A crash woke me and Meatlug up and naturally I got up to investigate, I was thinking a Night Terror had gotten into something again but the sun had barely set and the day had been filled with Luna deciphering her dad's journal, there was still another journal to get to and a whole box of papers and drawings. But speaking of Luna...I was suddenly hearing her hushed voice.

"Guys! Come on, let go of the bag, don't make me use my Alpha voice on you! I've been trying not to use it on you guys and the others," she gave a small sigh, pulling her satchel away from Barf and Belch, "I'll be back by morning! I know I just got back but there's someone I need to check on-" she was cut of by a little screech, "Dewdrop, not you too, I'll be fine! You don't have to worry about your momma, little one, I'll be safe, surrounded by family, and I'll be back before-."
"Back before what? We realize you're gone again? Where do you think you're flying off to, young lady?" I walked up and crossed my arms.
She sighed, "I was hoping no one would wake up, um, h-hi, Fishlegs," she smiled innocently at me but the expression soon turned sheepish, "I guess you heard me...I was gonna be back by morning!"
"Where were you planning on flying off to? And what's in that bag that those two wanted so bad?" I asked.
Her wings slumped a bit as she finally realized she wasn't leaving tonight, "They didn't want anything in the bag, they're trying to stop me from leaving, same with Dewdrop. I know I just got back but I need to go see if she's there."
"Who?" I narrowed my eyes at her as Meatlug finally joined by my side.
Luna was quick to reply, "My mother!"

"Why do you think your mom's on the Isle of Night?" I asked after getting her back to my hut and sitting her at my desk.
Luna sighed and brought up her knees to hug them, "Aria and Osial. They mentioned that an old, female Night Fury had come back to the island, she was from there originally and that my scent was similar to hers. It's another reason I was late, I was looking for her cave but I didn't find it and even though I wanted to keep searching, I knew I had to start heading back or you guys would send a search party and possibly get yourselves in trouble with the others... Fishlegs, please! I know I just got back but... I need to find her before it's too late and I never get to see her, before she goes off to Vanaheim."
I sighed and crossed my arms, "No," I had to put my foot down this time, "I'm not going to cover for you, not this time. We need you here, not just because you can control Ruffnut somehow-."
"I don't control my girlfriend," she interrupted.
I just continued, "But because you help in so many different ways. Without you, we wouldn't have known why that Changewing crashed into the Edge or found the MossWings, o-or been able to understand what's in Kallin and Oswald's journals! You help so much and you don't just help us, you help all the dragons too!"
"Exactly!" she shot to her feet, wings fluttering behind her as she started pacing, "That's all I do: Help. I help with the dragons, I help with the Riders, I even help with Tuffnut even though he doesn't like that I'm dating his sister," she said.
I gave a chuckle and waved my hands dismissively, "What? There's no way Tuffnut doesn't like you, it's Snotlout that had a problem with you until you played to his ego that one time."
"No, no. I know he likes me as a friend and fellow team member, but he doesn't like that I'm dating his sister because she hangs with me instead of playing pranks and wrestling boars with him," she sighed and her wings drooped, it was interesting how I just noticed that her wings are about as expressive as her face.

"Fishlegs, I've never met my mother and this may be my only chance to do so, I want to know her, not just about her from what my father wrote, and all his notes told me was that she has a missing ear frill and three claw scars on the side of her nose. He said nothing about her behavior, what she likes, he only gives small physical details that make her recognizable," she sighed and sat back down, hugging her arms, "I just want to meet her."
I could feel that sigh tearing at my heart, she looked so...defeated right now and I couldn't stand that look. But... "I'm not going to cover for you, Luna, not this time," I told her and she hung her head, "but maybe we could convince the others in the morning to head out. I'll make sure we stay on a neighboring island while you look for your mom."
Her wings were the first to perk up before she lifted her head, her wings started fluttering excitedly before a smile even started to form on her lips then she launched herself at me, pulling me into a big hug, "Thank you, thank you. Thank you!" she beamed.
I was happy to hug back, "I just can't stand to see you so sad, but we'll talk to the others in the morning, we all need sleep. You after flying so much, and the rest of us after worrying about you so much, Ruff's been having trouble sleeping since you left so you should probably go back to her and be her sleeping buddy for the rest of the night at the very least."
Luna was bouncing from how excited she was, "Thank you so much, Fishlegs! I will, I should probably go make sure she's still asleep and didn't have a nightmare while I was, er, trying to sneak off," she gave a sheepish smile as she rubbed the back of her head before flying out of my hut.

I had no doubt that she was going to go and lay with Ruffnut but I had some doubt that she'd actually get some sleep she looked like she needed if those dark circles and eyebags had anything to say about how little she slept on her trip. Her 'adoptive' dragon family pulling her into a cuddle pile was likely the only time she slept on the trip. Hopefully things go according to plan in the morning so she can find her mom.