New Dragons!

I was studying my notes when Luna walked in with Melody, "Oh, Luna, what brings you to my hut?"
"Hey, Fishlegs, are you busy?" she asked.
"Not really, I was only going over notes, do you need something?" I replied.
"I need your help finding an island, preferably with lots of chickens and possibly wild boars too for when Melody gets bigger. I took into consideration how dangerous she is to the other dragons here, I had to free the same Night Terror three times in the last hour," she sighed, "It's time to let her go but I want to make sure she won't be eaten on the new island so I can't just send her off."
"Oh! I know just the island you're looking for." I raced over to my maps and found the island, "That one, there! It's full of chickens, tons of wild boars, and very few wild dragons so she should be safe and happy there," I told her.
Luna smiled as she walked over, "Great! So, if you're still not too busy, would you mind flying us there? I can't exactly get there by myself and if I borrow Toothless then I may get lost, I'm not good with directions."
"Well, since it's only a quick trip then I suppose we wouldn't mind taking you," I smiled as Meatlug walked in so I pet her, "Do you trust me enough to ride with me?" I extended my hand to her.
Luna visibly tensed then took a breath and calmed, "Um, I'm still, what's the word? A...Apprehensive! That's the word. Still apprehensive about men but I'll do my best to trust you, just try not to grab me, I still act on reflex and instinct."
I quickly took my hand back, "Got it, I'll just leave a note for Hiccup then we'll be on our way!"

In no time at all, Luna had dropped Melody off on the new island and we were already headed back to Dragon's Edge when I heard mumbling behind me.
"Thick forest, grassy knolls, clear lake..." Luna gasped, "Fishlegs! You like studying new dragons, right?"
"Of course! Why?" I asked.
"Turn and head for one of the nice, green knolls on that island over there and there's a strong possibility you'll see a dragon you've never seen before," she said.
I couldn't resist so I turned Meatlug and soon landed on one of the knolls Luna told me to. She jumped right off and looked around.
"Alright, warm, humid breeze, no sign of frost anywhere... Yes! They should be awake around this time!" she was beaming, I'd never seen her smile like that.
"What? What should be out? Should Meatlug and I be worried?" I asked as my dragon stood next to me.
"No, it's alright, come down off the knoll but watch where you step," Luna told me so I did so as she looked around and a trilling sound came out of her, "Okay, great camouflage, I know you're around though."
"Luna, what is it that you- Ah!" I cried out in surprise as I heard screeching and suddenly things were attacking my face, "Luna!"
"Whoa! Fishlegs, calm down and take a couple steps back, they're being protective!" she said so I stepped back and whatever it was stopped attacking so I opened my eyes to see two little dragons, they were so small, "Wow...I've never seen these dragons before."
"I know, I've named them MossWings," Luna said as she walked over and gave a trill, the two dragons that were attacking me landed on her shoulders, "I discovered them, by accident, really. Well, not the ones on this island but I recognized the habitat, they love sunbathing on grassy knolls, need clean water, and live at the base of towering trees."
"This is amazing! What else do you know about them?" I asked, eager to learn more as I grabbed my field journal and started writing.
"I studied them for a while, they're a hibernating species and because of that, moss and fungi grow on their wings and back while they sleep, hence the name. They are insectivores and scavengers, they don't hunt anything but bugs and just eat the scraps other dragons leave behind, be that a boar, yak, sheep, or even another dragon; I've found it's their preferred food. They have strong jaws to break bones and long tongues to suck out the marrow, their tails are long, thin and fragile, I'm not surprised these two don't have theirs since they're mates. MossWings mate for life and once they mate, they'll grab each other's tails and, since they're so fragile, take them right off. It's a bit violent but it signifies they're mated so the unmated ones don't try to steal anyone's girlfriend. Oh, and they're all female, they've managed to evolve and find a way to reproduce with only females so the males have all gone extinct."

I stayed and learned so much but eventually it was time to leave, I had one more question first.
"Wait, why did they attack me?" I asked.
Luna kneeled and moved the tall grass aside, "Because of this." Baby MossWings! "They are extremely protective of their young and territory, they were just trying to get you away from these hatchlings." She held out a hand and one of the hatchlings jumped on while the adults on her shoulders stayed totally calm, I was a bit jealous. "See how thin and long the tail is? Only as thick as the strings our clothes were sewn with," she said and set it back down, "Oh, and you will always find them in pairs unless there are babies."
Luna shooed the dragon moms away and they blended right in with the moss on the trunk of the nearest tree. As much as I wanted to study them more, it was time to go so we both got back onto Meatlug and headed back to the Edge.