Momma Moon

I really don't think any of us were expecting two more Night Furies to appear out of nowhere and swoop down at us. Runa started roaring at them but they only roared back and seemed really upset for some reason.

"Stormfly!" I ran to my dragon after she dodged another swoop then I started to climb onto her back but Luna stopped me.
"No! Astrid, Snotlout, get off your dragons now!" she flew up and into the path of the new Night Furies, making them scramble to halt in the air. Luna sighed in relief, "Okay, now that we're all calm and not trying to attack each other," she crossed her arms, "what is wrong?"
The two dragons began flying in an unusual pattern, looking distressed and sounding it too.
"Okay! Okay..." Luna sighed again and guided them down, "No attacking, we're all friends here," she looked to us Riders, "Team, this is Aria and Osial, my family when I thought I had none. Aria, Osial, of course you know my mother, this is my brother over here," she gestured to Toothless, "these are my friends," she gestured to the rest of us then grabbed and wrapped her arms around Ruffnut, "and this is my mate."
"Whoa, whoa! Mate?!" Ruffnut was such a bright red I swear all her blood was in her cheeks.
Luna blushed lightly, "Dragons don't have girlfriends or boyfriends, they have mates, it was the easiest word that they'd understand. Sorry, I won't call you that again if you-."
Ruff cut her off, "No, no. I like it, it just caught me off guard," somehow she got redder.
Hiccup decided to speak up, "So what seems to be the problem, Luna? Why'd they attack us?"

After a brief conversation between Luna and her dragon friends, she translated the shortened version for us.
"They thought you were threats since you're new and there's brand new eggs on the island, they didn't want a threat so close but now they know you're all fine so they're just curious," Luna explained.
I walked a few steps closer, "Is Aria alright? That's a pretty nasty scar..."
Luna glanced back as the dragon I was talking about growled, "Astrid, that's Osial, and he's fine, I'm the one who gave him the scar over his lip. It was an accident, we were rough-housing, it's all good, besides, he got me back. Didn't you, ya jerk?" she rubbed her knuckles against Osial's head and laughed when he smacked her with his tail. "Ow!" she laughed, "Okay, no need to smack the bite, they know about it already."
The other one, apparently Aria, bumped Luna's legs so she fell back across Aria's back then nuzzled our dragon girl, making her laugh more.
"Okay! I get it, I'll stop fighting with him, but what did you really expect? We've been this way forever," Luna purred and hugged them both, Runa and Toothless going ahead and joining the family huddle.
Fishlegs smiled, "Aww, it's a Night Fury pile, that's so cute," he gushed.
"Cute? They're some of the most deadly flying lizards smothering one of our teammates, we thought there was only one left!" Snotlout crossed his arms.
"Nah, still cute, Luna's family is smothering her, how can you not find that so teeth-rottingly sweet?" Tuffnut crossed his arms too but he was smiling at the scene.

"So you mentioned there being eggs on the island?" I asked, petting Stormfly's side.
"Yeah, new eggs are laid every year but only a few ever make it because of the conditions and food quantities, all that, I helped all I could when I was here but I couldn't stop nature," Luna replied, snuggling with Ruffnut since it was getting late.
Hiccup scooted a little closer, leaning forward, "Is there anything we could do to help? It would be amazing to help the Night Furies thrive," he said, I could see how his eyes practically sparkled from here. It was cute.
Luna shook her head though, "The Night Furies that are left stay close-knit and don't let any humans near, there are less than a dozen left so they have to if they want to survive."
Runa purred and nuzzled Toothless, seemed she was happy to reunite with her son. Toothless seemed just as happy and affectionate as he nuzzled his mother back.
"That makes sense," Fishlegs spoke up, "even though Night Furies are ferocious predators, the threat of extinction is very real, Dragon Hunters and Vikings have both hunted the Furies to near extinction so we shouldn't be surprised that they're staying so defensive. But, Luna, what about you? You said that you helped, they let you?"

She nodded this time and propped her head up on her fist, "I am half-Night Fury after all, they could sense that so since I was technically family, they allowed me to help. Heh, you have no idea how cute the hatchlings are, it's like their eyes are too big for their heads and they usually bug out just a little, it's adorable," she said, smiling at the memory, "I even became the substitute mother of a hatchling after his mother died of old age. I bet little StarSmoke is still on the island," she looked over to Aria, "How old would he be now? Five? Six?" Aria purred and Luna smiled, "Seven...I guess I missed a birthday," she giggled and got this little far off look in her eyes.
"Wait a minute," Snotlout sat up, "You're a mom?!"
She snapped out of it then giggled, "Well, just because of circumstances, he didn't have anyone to care for him so I stepped up. When I accidentally drifted away from the island, he was about half of Toothless' size so he was able to fend for himself at that point, still...I wanna see how much he's grown since then," she hummed and that far off look returned. "I wonder if he's finally grown into his spines, he was still a wobbly flyer when I left..."
Tuffnut held his chin in thought, "Wait, since you're a mom technically and you're dating my sister..." he gasped, "Aw yeah! I'm a dad!"
Ruffnut rolled her eyes but she was smiling, "No, you'd be an uncle, idiot...WAIT! That makes me a mom too!" it took her a second to realize that but once she did, her face was apple red.
The rest of us had to laugh at the reaction but it was still odd to know Luna was a mom, and now through her, Ruffnut is too.