Her Scars

I was worried and confused about Luna, she woke up a while ago and said she was fine, Astrid and Ruffnut showed her the finished hut. What was with those scars on her back? And that branding? Maybe there's some truth behind her song that she's not telling us. I decided to go ask her later because she's still settling in at the moment. After about an hour I decided to go check on her only to find her messing around with Ruff, it was nice to see her laughing.
"Hey, what's going on out here?" I asked, walking over.
Luna tripped and fell, laughing softly, "Hey, Hiccup, Ruffnut was helping me get moved in then we started messing around and she chased me out here."
"Well it's nice to see you getting along with the others," I said, extending a hand to help her up.
I could see her tense a bit but she took my hand and stood, quickly releasing my hand once she was on her feet, she still seems to have trouble with trusting me.
"Well it's mostly the girls," she admitted, "Sorry, Hiccup."
"No, no, it's totally fine, you just need time to get used to the guys so I'll let you be but I did have some questions for you if you don't mind," I said.
"I'll just go hang out with Tuff, catch ya later, Luna," Ruffnut said and ran off.

"Um, alright, how about we go inside? There's a Changewing nearby and it's hungry," she climbed the ladder into her hut and gestured for me to follow so I did.
I climbed up and looked around, it looked like she'd gotten settled in pretty nicely, the hut was decorated and there was one more bundle of stuff along with a cat in a cage which Luna slowly opened.
"Who is that?" I asked.
"Sylva, she's my best friend but I have to keep her and Melody separated," Luna answered and pointed up to where Melody was laying lazily on a rafter.

"Okay, well about my questions, earlier I saw a couple scars on your back and I was wondering where they came from," I said.

She tensed and Sylva jumped into her arms, visibly calming her, "Well that's a complicated story," she answered, "mostly because I'd probably dance around the truth..."
"By any chance," I had to ask, "is there any truth to your Dragon Girl song?"
Luna tensed again and sat on the foot of her bed, petting her cat, "Y-Yes...there's a reason I can communicate with dragons the way I do but...it wasn't hunters that cut off my wings. My father did and that's the main reason I don't trust men even though he was only trying to protect me," she looked over at something and I followed her gaze to a chained up chest, "It may seem impossible, but my mother...."