The Hatchery

I took a breath and went to the entrance just to snatch up some of the scales before returning, "There's scales from different types of dragons here, a Nightmare, a Night Terror, some Nadder scales. There's no telling what's in there."
Fishlegs looked into my hands then pulled out a scale, "This one's different, it doesn't match any of the dragons that we know are on the island," he said and looked it over.
"Why are we still just standing around!?" Ruffnut was getting impatient, struggling against Barf's hold.
I sighed and gave Toothless a pat, "Fine, we'll go in, but everyone needs to stay quiet and stay behind Toothless. You ready, bud?" I asked my dragon.
Toothless nodded and started leading the way inside but it was surprisingly bright after we turned a couple corners.

We came out into a wide room with lava leaking from the walls and into a pool in the middle but that wasn't even the most noticeable part. There were so many eggs! All shapes and sizes from different dragon species, I could recognize a couple as the eggs of the dragons we found the scales of at the entrance but there were a few I didn't recognize.

"Whoa..." Fishlegs whispered in awe, "It's a communal hatchery, normally none of these eggs would be found together but here they are all in one cave."
"Should we be here? Maybe we took a wrong turn," Astrid whispered, "you know how territorial and protective dragons are!"
I glanced back at her and nodded, "There was nowhere else to turn, she has to be here, along with whatever brought her here. Look around but do not go near any eggs."

We didn't even get two steps into the hatchery before there was shrieking at my feet. I looked down to see dragons I've never seen before! Each one with its wings seemingly bent the wrong way and cradling what looked like rocks in front of them, I tried to take in every detail but they were soon running away and Astrid was grabbing me.

"Hiccup!" she cried and pulled me behind the safety of Toothless who was growling at something bigger.
It was a bigger version, an adult version of the dragons I'd just seen, wings curled in front and cradling something but I couldn't tell where one wing ended and the other began, almost like they'd been fused together.
"Oooh! It's a new dragon!" Fishlegs gushed excitedly but we were promptly roared at.
We were about to run when a whimpery groan came from the dragon's wings and Ruffnut recognized it. "Luna!" she pushed through, grabbing for Astrid's axe but thankfully missing before she was held back by Toothless, "Give her back! Don't hurt her!"

Toothless growled and huffed and the new dragon seemed to calm, it looked down at its wings then huffed at my dragon before turning away. It used its long tail to grab up a rock with a crater in the middle and use it to scoop up some lava, the control over its tail was incredible and now that it was closer to the room's light source I could see that its wings were definitely fused together unlike the babies so it must need a prehensile tail to do more intricate stuff that its mouth wouldn't be a fit for. I don't know what I expected to happen but it wasn't for the dragon to pour the lava into its wings!
A cry came from the cradled wings and there was no mistaking that for anyone other than Luna!

Ruffnut cried out and struggled more, trying to get over or around Toothless but he stood strong despite the growling he was doing.
"L-Luna's lava proof, remember? She showed us all a while ago," Tuffnut stuttered, grabbing onto his hair nervously.

A gentle blue glow emanated from the dragon's wings and it leaned over to let Luna gently tumble out, her clothes singed in multiple places but she seemed fine. Toothless finally let Ruffnut retrieve her girlfriend and the new dragon crouched in front of us, looking over us all.
I bit my cheek then carefully reached out, it seemed calm and it looked like it understood that we were worried about Luna. My hand was met with the new dragon's nose but just as soon as it happened, the dragon turned towards the screech of another baby and hurried over, this time taking an egg into its wings and pouring in a bit more lava before the shell burst apart and a baby Nightmare gave a tiny roar before starting to get groomed.

Fishlegs walked over to me, "Hiccup!" he exclaimed in a hushed tone, "We just found a new dragon!"
"I think more accurately, it found us," I was just as excited about the discovery but my attention was drawn towards Luna when she groaned, she was a little...exposed so I pulled a blanket from Toothless' saddle bag to drape over her. "Hey, you're okay," I'm pretty sure we were all relieved about that, "What's the last thing you remember?"
Ruffnut shooed me away and hugged Luna tight, "You don't have to answer him, that scared me so much, I'm so happy you're alright."
Luna gave another soft groan but still hugged back, "What...happened? My head hurts and my arm does a little too, I-...I slammed into the clubhouse post and fell. Then I smelled chocolate?"
"That would've been the Snaptrapper," Fishlegs added.
"Right, the sweet smell of Snaptrappers, didn't know they were on our island..." she trailed off and leaned into Ruffnut more then pulled her arm out of the blanket. It looked better but also looked like it was scabbed over with rocks? She looked up into the cave and her eyes widened, "A Cradlewing?"

"Wait, you know about this dragon?" Fishlegs asked, seeming a little disappointed that we didn't discover it.
"A-A little, I named it a Cradlewing but I don't know if someone else discovered it first and named it something-" she was cut off by a little screech beside her. We all looked down as Luna cautiously scooped up one of the baby Cradlewings and lifted it to her face, "You..." a smile came to her face, "you're helping your papa take care of these eggs, huh? And you got your own little pebble to care for, right? Can I see it?"
The baby dragon cooed then used its tail to pull a small, blue rock from its wings and show it off before putting it back.
Luna giggled, "That's a nice one, take good care of it, okay? Tell your papa that I'm thankful for his help," she set the dragon down then wrapped the blanket over her front before standing with a slight wobble, "We should get out of here," she told us.