Chapter 119

Knock, knock!

A rhythmic knocking rang through the study. Sitting behind her desk, head buried deep in her document, Eugene was subconsciously waiting for the voice that usually followed the raps: Marianne or a maid.

“Queen, may I come in?”

Eugene looked up from the documents she was reading. She reflexively looked towards the door and called out.

“Yes.”

She was still looking at the door when it opened. As the person walked in, their gazes met.

Walking in a couple of steps, Kasser abruptly stopped, still looking at Eugene who was slowly getting up from her chair.

“Did I interrupt you?” he asked.

“No, it’s okay.”

Eugene walked out to the front of the desk in the direction of the sofa.

“We’ll sit here…”

She tried to shake off the awkwardness. She didn’t know why she was suddenly so nervous. It was fine when she used to see him everyday but now that it had been a while since she last saw him, she felt more conscious around him.

I need at least a moment to prepare before meeting him.

She had been waiting for a maid to tell her the meeting had ended, never expecting the King to visit in person. Her heart was beating rapidly, eyes darted to every corner of the room but towards him. She didn’t know what to say or do.

It had been quite a few days since they had seen each other. And the things that had happened… he was quite looking forward to seeing her. Kasser was hoping for a welcoming response at the least.

And yet, when he saw Eugene feeling uncomfortable, he too felt uncomfortable. He had been sulking, as it bothered him that he had left without as much as a goodbye in his trice.

He remembered Marianne nagging him saying

You should put more effort, Your Majesty.

Seeing how things stood now, he couldn’t help thinking that perhaps, he was the only one who thought his relationship with the queen had changed a lot from the past.

Put in more effort to improve relations, the words were too vague.

He had never done this before, so he didn’t even know where to start. Affection and woman were a foreign territory to him. To say he was a dunce in such matters, wouldn’t be far-fetched.

“It looks like you were in the middle of work. Do you have a lot of work?” He tried to strike a conversation to ease the awkwardness, but was inwardly hoping she would say no.

“It’s not too much. I am getting an aide, so I was looking at candidates.” She could still feel her taut nerves.

“I see… an aide, they are important.” He was making a sincere attempt to keep the conversation alive.

“I’m still considering… Ah, Your Majesty! If you don’t mind, could you check them out and recommend one to me?” she said suddenly.

Without wasting a moment, Eugene quickly brought over the documents from her desk and handed it to him, as soon as she saw him nod.

She sat across him, looking as he went through the papers. Her nervousness from a while ago had faded. Now, her heart was pounding with a different emotion.

In the silent room, with nothing but the sound of sifting papers, Marianne’s words drifted to her mind.

“I never thought of him as someone easy.”