Chapter 222

On further acquaintance, Eugene was growing to think highly of Charlotte. She especially liked the way Charlotte treated her without any excessive courtesies. Although Charlotte could come across as arrogant or haughty if she were to take her behavior amiss, she had rather taken fancy to her calm attitude instead.

So, from that afternoon onwards, Eugene expected two companies in her carriage, as the ladies took turns to accompany her during afternoon marches while they rested in their respective carriages in the morning.

Five days have passed since their departure from the capital and their everyday journey was pretty much the same so far. The procession departed after breakfast every day and the march would halt twice at noon and evening for a rest, before they arrived at their prearranged accommodation every night. It was either the official residences or the cottage of the local worthies where they were accommodated by night.

It was indeed a boring yet tranquil journey. Although it was incomparable to the capital, as no kingdom’s territory was a lawless area, there were no sights of fearless bandits who dared to approach the procession which was placed under the stringent escort of fully armed warriors.

“A-ah!”

Through the carriage’s open window, an insect flew in and settled itself right on General Lester’s wife, Darlin’s skirt. As soon as she saw the insect, her eyes widened with fear as she started to scream. Her hands were tightly clenched in fists as she frantically shook her head.

“Help me, please!”

Eugene quickly took the dragonfly off from her dress and threw it out the window before she closed the window.

“Are you alright?”

“Yes, thank you, Your Majesty.”

Darlin replied while her face was still white with terror.

‘I guess she has some kind of phobia against bugs.’

She didn’t appear to be overreacting after all as her eyes were literally filled with tears. Eugene eyed the two of them as Charlotte comforted Darlin who was whimpering with teary eyes by holding her hand. Today, it was their turn to accompany her in the ride during the late afternoon march.

So far, Eugene had been travelling with the ladies as they took turns to ride with her in her carriage everyday. And as the procession marched on for as long as a few hours except for the resting time, they naturally fell into conversation to keep each other company throughout their long journey. On account of that, it gave her plenty of time to learn their characters as a person.

Needless to say, they all had different personalities and the way they treated her was all different from person to person as well.

Some of the ladies had still found her difficult, hence they were cautious during the whole conversation with her, while the rest of them had already become comfortable around her presence and casually engaged in daily conversations with her during their rides. Both Charlotte and Darlin belonged to the latter group.

Although it wasn’t Eugene’s intention to give special treatment to them just because they were the spouses of the high officials whom the king has his full confidence in, she was especially glad to have them as her company as she couldn’t help but to favor those she was rather comfortable to be around with. When the both of them arrived together at her carriage today, she gladly welcomed them with open arms.