Chapter 210

The recollection that came into Eugene’s head then changed into another scene, now in a different place with no one present. When it occurred to Eugene that this was a recollection of a private meeting, she heard Jin speak once again.

“I have a favor to ask of you.”

“It would be my great pleasure to be of help, Your Majesty.”

“Glad to hear that.”

Eugene was deeply astonished by this recollection, as most of what she’d seen of Jin until now was mostly her supercilious behaviors, as someone with a serious anger management problem. But alas, Jin could be a sensible person after all, knowing how to behave around the people she needed to win over.

Instead of her usual authoritative and shallow nasal-sounding voice, she spoke in an unusually amiable tone. And it was most unexpected to hear Jin use the word ‘favor’.

“I have heard a lot about your maternal grandparents who are highly reputed in the Holy City. I need their help in finding someone.”

With interest, Eugene stared at the woman before her, the one she had seen from Jin’s memory. The woman was beautiful but also had a cold exterior. Unlike the other ladies who stiffened in front of her, the woman remained composed with a serene expression on her face.

Count Oscar, the Chancellor’s wife, was the person Eugene was most eager to meet among everyone she invited today. Marianne had given her unusually generous praises regarding the count, about her being a woman of few words and being well-centered as well.

‘I guess Marianne was clueless about it.’

If Marianne held any inkling about the intimate interaction between Jin and the Count, she would have told her beforehand. Jin must have met with the count behind their backs, but their interaction did not seem to have lasted for long.

Among everything Marianne had told her about Count Oscar, it was the count’s private life that intrigued her. Apparently, the count and the chancellor had married for love, and so their marriage was a great deal of scandal as a marriage of convenience was the custom in their society. But Count Oscar being older than the chancellor was the real surprise considering Verus’s fastidious appearance.

The six ladies stood by the table and lowered their heads at Eugene.

“We are very much pleased to meet you, Your Majesty.”

“Welcome and thank you for coming all the way here despite my sudden invitation.”

‘I’ll need to watch for a chance to meet with the Count in private.’

Eugene believed she would be able to figure out the favor Jin had asked if she gets a chance to talk with the count.

But today’s gathering was intended for her to get acquainted with the officials’ wives while listening to their predicaments living as the officials’ wives. As this was a public gathering, she had no notion to show her personal interest in the count today.

***

Eugene called Aldrit to the office instead of her study. She did not want to draw any unnecessary attention as she knew people would be bound to give a quizzical glance if she let Aldrit into her study, where she had never even allowed her servants to enter before. She could not risk Aldrit getting too much attention, considering his current circumstances.

So instead, she brought only one book out of her many old ones in her study to the office, which she had received from Rodrigo in person not very long ago. The book had most of the incantations that overlapped with the ones in her other books.