Chapter 189

Two women clad in cloaks strode through the streets under the night sky, the streetlamps emitting a soft, yellow light into the darkness as it illuminated the women’s silhouettes onto the pavement. With their hoods pulled over their heads, the two went on with their evening walk, passing by a pair of soldiers.

“So, what happened to Hans?”

“I have no idea. I’ll find out tomorrow.”

Eugene, who was deep in her thoughts, overheard the conversation the soldiers were having. She turned her head towards them, noticing the scene around them.

Despite the glooming hour, the street they were walking on had no strange ambiance to it, no sense of anything menacing due to the lampposts set at certain intervals. There were quite a few people walking too, others even heading in the same direction as Eugene and Molly.

The sight of two women walking together was not something unusual, nor will it make anyone suspicious since people of different ages and sizes seemed to frequent the area— whether it’s early in the morning, or the late hours of the evening.

She only came to appreciate the tranquility of the streets later on, since she was quite a nervous wreck when she went to see Rodrigo. She regarded both the stillness of the street, and the energy that came with it with such reverence.

‘Jin must have come out like this too, when she met up with Rodrigo before.’ Eugene thought, deeming the place safe enough since Jin used to bring only one maid with her with no escorts. ‘There are only a few countries where it’s safe to roam around at night. I wonder if other Kingdoms are like this too.’

During Eugene’s first outing, there were about five warriors that escorted her as per Kasser’s command. Eugene laughed at the memory.

Living in the capital meant that the security was sufficient. However, Eugene couldn’t help but feel unsure since there were many people in the vicinity. She did not expect this crowd at all.

In commemoration of the oncoming dry season, almost all shops came up with offers like discounted prices, buy one get ones, and other promos to lure people inside their store. And with that, the number of people that went out at night increased tenfold, making the plaza brim with life due to the onslaught of the masses. More patrols were also assigned at certain posts to keep a watchful eye over the bustling crowd.

Eugene had no idea that this is the first time that a large-scale event was occurring when the active period is not even over yet, and it is also the first event that was instructed by the King himself.

She felt a slight movement on her arm, making her glance down at the basket she was holding on. ‘Just for a while now, Abu.’

Fortunately for Eugene, there was no need for Abu’s appearance today. But the beast’s company sure made her feel at ease when she’s having a meeting with Rodrigo. She didn’t feel the initial anxiety she had, all thanks to Abu’s presence beside her.

Eugene and Molly stopped at an intersection in front of the square. They noticed that the plaza, which is supposedly overflowing with people, was empty, save for the few operating workers. Eugene could see the trees centered at the square very well.

“It looks like they are checking the oil container, Master.” Molly said, seeing the workers working in pairs all over the square.

Eugene nodded. “I see.”

Molly took in their surroundings, completely perplexed at the sight in front of her. ‘Why did they start the maintenance today?’ She also noticed that the carriage they had ridden going here was nowhere to be seen.