Chapter 208

“I bet they all had distinctive black hair and eyes. And they all were girls, am I right?” Eugene said, knowing that Aldrit was talking about their kind, the Anikas.

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

Eugene was now deep in thought. As she fell silent, Aldrit looked down, his shoulders tense. It was a bold statement — to say that the highest noble in this world was from the lowest of sinners.

“Then I guess that makes you a distant relation of mine, right?”

“I beg your pardon?”

Aldrit quickly raised his head up and blankly stared at Eugene, shocked by her words. Kasser then filled the whole Great Hall with his laughter.

With no sign of stopping, Eugene called him out with a hint of warning.

“Your Majesty.”

To appease her, Kasser tried to hold in his laughter, clearing his throat unnecessarily. Still, his shoulders were heaving as he started to snicker instead. In contrast to his joyous laughter, he gazed at Eugene with great intensity.

Eugene felt her cheeks warm, embarrassed under his gaze, as he watched her the same way he would in their bedroom. To tell him off, she pouted slightly.

“While it may have sounded absurd, you don’t have to laugh in my face.”

“I wasn’t laughing in your face,” Kasser took a moment before he spoke, still snickering. “It was just very amusing.”

Truly, Eugene’s unbiased remark amazed him. Before she lost her memories, she was quite the prideful Anika. But now, she acted nothing like the Anikas who usually had their noses in the air.

Aldrit had just offered an insult to her kind. Those with the noblest blood would have thrown a fit by now. At best, they would have already stormed out of the room.

He grinned at Eugene. “I’d never laugh in your face. I love your absurdness.”

Quickly, Eugene turned her eyes away as if she did not hear anything. She grumbled to herself about how silly Kasser was getting day by day. But then, a flash of the night they had on the last day of their return journey from the Holy City made her blush.

“Aldrit.”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Aldrit dropped his eyes back to the floor with a startle. While it already crossed his mind, the two of them really seemed close without reservation. He had thought that the nobles maintained formalities even when married. He was amazed that the king and queen were not any different from the lovers he had seen in his tribe.

“According to what you just said, Anikas are descendants of those ancient sorcerers. Then, why is it that you and your tribe, who come from the same root, are now in such a terrible position?”

Never in his wildest dreams did Aldrit ever thought that he and his tribe would be acknowledged as people from the ‘same root’ by an Anika. Bewildered, he answered her.

“It may be a little excessive to say that we share a common root, as the sorcerers had already divided into their three respective groups by then.” Aldrit continued. “Anikas were born from those who focused their studies on death and resurrection.”