Chapter 166

There were a few people lined up in front of the king’s desk. Kasser’s eyes moved up and down as he read document after document. He wasn’t able to rest at all ever since the day started due to the amount of work that needs to be done.

He had no choice but to get up in the middle of the night when he was notified of a signal flare. He managed to hunt down the Lark with ease, and he resumed office right after his morning pursuit.

It was always busy at this time of year. It was an annual occurrence and it is something that he is used to doing, but Kasser desperately did not want to be drowning in work right now.

Kasser is kneading his temples with one hand, unable to focus on the document in front of him as his mind drifts somewhere else.

It was his sworn duty to prioritize the kingdom more than anything else, but he’s pretty distracted at the moment, with thoughts unrelated to the work in front of him.

He remembered the sounds of his footsteps when he left the queen’s chamber this early morning. What he wanted to do then was to put off work, and cuddle with his queen instead. It is unlike him to be thinking such things, to be so emotional that he’s willing to postpone work, but he snapped out of his thoughts and went about his day, and be the Monarch that he is.

“Your Majesty.”

“What is it?” The king asked with an irritated tone. He thought that the chamberlain had brought more work for him.

“The queen is here to see you.”

Kasser did not expect that at all. He raised one eyebrow in confusion.

“It seems that Her Grace has something to discuss with you. I have escorted her to the reception room, should I bring her in?”

“Yes. Please tell her to come in.”

The king put down the documents he was reading and arranged them in a neat pile. The chamberlain then gathered all the officials lingering about the office and left.

Eugene went to the office as soon as the party left.

Eugene smiled shyly towards the king when their eyes met. She was suddenly feeling embarrassed for coming here out of the blue when the king had more important matters to attend to.

“Your Majesty, I apologize for bothering you at this busy time.” Eugene said

“There’s no need to apologize. I was about to take a break, anyway.”

Kasser stood up from his desk and led Eugene to the couch. She sat down as she observed the office. The place looked the same the last time Eugene went here when she took a peak at a Hwansu lizard. The office is minimal, with a few furniture pieces here and there.

“Tell me, does it make you uncomfortable when I visit you here in the office?” Eugene asked.

“I’ve never prohibited you from coming here, have I? Feel free to come here anytime.” The king assured her.

She thought that the king was being too considerate. She noticed the stack of documents piled on his table, and the long cue of officials waiting outside. It was a pretty busy day for the king, and Eugene was thankful that she was well accommodated despite the hectic schedule.

“I don’t see the little kid.” Eugene said.

“Little kid?” The king asked with a confused tone.

“It’s a name that I made up. By little kid I meant the Hwansu you brought from the repository.”

“It’s in the lobby near my bedroom. Do you want to see it now?” His brows furrowed significantly. Is it what she came for after all? The little pest?