Chapter 184

After seeing the man out, Marianne went back to the office and approached Eugene. The queen had her back facing the door, standing in front of a birdcage that was placed on a shelf right next to the window. The cage housed a squirrel that was poised and waiting, jumping out of its’ coop the moment Eugene unlatched the opening. He scurried up the length of Eugene’s arm to sit on her shoulder.

“Your Highness, I’m currently looking for other storytellers. It will take me some time to locate them since they live as nomads.” Marianne said.

“Seems like he’s a well-known storyteller, a renowned one in his trade.” Eugene said as she turned to Marianne.

“I heard that he knows many bizarre tales and stories.”

“I may need to meet another person after meeting with his great grandmother. So you need to keep looking, but do not focus on that entirely.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” Marianne nodded.

Eugene lifted her left hand above her chest, palm up as the squirrel quickly scrambled down her shoulder to rest on her hand. It sat there looking at Eugene while waving his bushy tail excitedly. The Hwansu retreated back towards her shoulder when Eugene motioned her hand down, and she repeated the action with her right hand this time, wiggling her fingers slightly to signal the squirrel to move.

The creature was quick to understand, shuffling back and forth on her hands, making Eugene giggle softly at his antics. She stroked the squirrel’s head in admiration, the beast leaning its small head towards her fingers, as if prodding her to go on.

Marianne stood watching the squirrel’s movements, amazed to see how well the king’s Hwansu responded to the queen.

“The aides think that this squirrel is my pet.”

The squirrel’s birdcage became Eugene’s after the king brought it to her. She couldn’t imagine Kasser playing with the squirrel since he only summons Abu to hunt Larks. The cage was originally placed in the lobby, and Eugene didn’t want the squirrel to be left alone so she moved it inside her office, taking care of it for a while. The aides have no idea about the squirrel’s true identity since Eugene never told them.

“They would never be able to guess that this is a Hwansu.”

“It has red eyes and red horns. How can they still not know? The characteristics are so evident already.”

“They probably think that Hwansus look pretty exceptional.”

“Do they think that such adorable squirrel is not fit to be a Hwansu?” Eugene asked defensively.

Marianne smiled at her. “I wouldn’t have known if Your Highness didn’t tell me, and Hwansus are known to be obedient only to their masters.”

Eugene suddenly thought of Abu— the black leopard, sometimes taking the form of a huge horned horse, was famously known for being the Desert King’s Hwansu. He was unlike this small creature in front of her. However, she played with the formidable beast every day, and she wondered what Marianne would think if she saw a downsized version of Abu purring at her feet.

“What do you think would happen if it changes its’ master to me?” Eugene jokingly said. She was surprised to see Marianne’s expression fall upon hearing her harmless jest.

“Is that even possible?” Marianne asked in a serious tone, as if contemplating.

‘Does she think that I might steal the King’s Hwansu away from him?’ Eugene’s mood dropped, realizing that she might’ve sounded insensitive. She masked her emotions away and said, “It was a joke. The Hwansu would only recognize his first master as his only master.”