Chapter 187

Based on the intelligence report, Cage, going by the name Rodrigo, operated a small store selling miscellaneous items. People passing by the vicinity would assume that it’s nothing but a shop like its nearby establishments.

Little did they know, the shop only served as a guise, hiding the fact that it is actually the place where Cage bought and sold information. Although there were people who really came to buy goods, all of the usual transactions were handled by an employee, whose task was to serve customers and protect the store at the same time, as to not make the establishment look suspicious.

This morning, Cage had been in a bad shape, coughing his lungs out all morning as he struggled to hold it in together. His coughs troubled him the whole day and by late afternoon, he decided to leave the store early and went straight home. Once inside his abode, he summoned a doctor to tend to him.

A few moments later, a doctor could be seen on his doorstep and went inside. He did not take too long and left the place soon after. To anyone lingering by, it was not an unusual sight, just a doctor stopping by for a sick patient.

However, people didn’t know that the man who left Cage’s house was not the doctor anymore. Rather, it was none other than Rodrigo in disguise.

Rodrigo was already a cautious man, but the past few days had him take extra precautions. Strange rumors had been circulating in the town and he could not risk exposing himself and the rest of the cult.

Like wildfire, rumors about the possibility of the kingdom recognizing and accepting cults serving the evil god Mara spread. This grew by the day, making the whole congregation at edge. Even though people weren’t entirely convinced, some part of them actually believed it.

Even though rebellions were not treated badly in the Kingdom, Rodrigo and servants like him were still unable to talk proudly about their cult. He was always on his guard, if people around hear him speak of the cult, they would for sure report him and have him arrested by the soldiers for surveillance.

Those who had faith in Mara had to hide from the naysayers’ eyes, and most of them wished that they were able to gather around confidently and pray during the day— when the sun shines so brightly as it looms over the horizon.

However beautiful that dream may be, Rodrigo didn’t think that it is likely to happen, ‘There’s no way the Kingdom would recognize us.’ Why would the Hashi Kingdom recognize the Mara Church, and turn their backs on the Sang-Je?

Even if that thought was possible, Rodrigo didn’t want it at all. ‘Troubles are what makes the faith, faithful. How can I receive God, without having to suffer?’

The oppression human beings have to deal with was ideal. That way, the power to control church believers became stronger, making it easier to pursue things in accordance to the will of God.

‘What a foolish dream, such, silly things. The fact that such rumors are circulating is already unusual in itself.”

Mind heavy with thoughts, Rodrigo walked mindlessly as he arrived at his destination. It was a street lined with small shops across the road. During the active period, the stores open late in the afternoon and close late at night, so by the time he reached the street, all the stores were lit up brightly and in full swing.

Rodrigo went past the narrow side street in between the stores, coming in at the entrance located at the back as he went up the second floor. It was one of the sanctuaries prepared by the Church.

The people of the Church called the place where they hold their private meetings, or a place to hide in, as sanctuaries. Only a few sanctuaries were formed in urban areas compared to the remote places.