Chapter 228

As opposed to Gemma’s expectation, Eugene didn’t lose her composure as she quietly listened in silence. That had made Gemma feel less pressured as she went on. She had her doubts too when she first heard the rumors about the Lark tree incident. But now she was pretty convinced that it could only have been a groundless rumor after all. If Anika Jin barely had any Ramita with her just like the rumor suspected, she wouldn’t have responded with such an air of nonchalance.

“As you know, Anikas with strong Ramita can’t possibly marry a king. So, there were also people who said that His Holiness had given up his hopes on you.”

That reminded Eugene of Gemma’s earlier remark where she’d said about being in a position of having to bear a child of king’s. There was a link between what Gemma just said and the bitterness she’d sensed in Gemma’s earlier remark.

‘Are they reluctant about marrying a king? But why?’

Having to leave the Holy City to a faraway kingdom alone was not enough for an explanation. Isn’t it a great honor to marry one of the kings among only six that exist in the whole world, and to see their child ascend the throne in the future?

‘Why is it impossible for an Anika with a strong Ramita to marry a king? Who made such a law? Could it be Sang-je? And do kings know about this?’

“What about you, Anika Gemma? You married a prince who would rise to the throne in future. And you’re pregnant with his child as well.”

“..I’m not sure.”

After a moment of silence, Gemma muttered with a sad air, “But I do know one thing for sure. You are on your way to the Holy City as you were summoned by His Holiness himself. That clearly implies that His Holiness hasn’t given up on you yet, unlike me.”

“His Holiness holds dear for every Anikas.”

“But I’m one of his less favored ones as I’m from a humble background and my inborn Ramita is relatively weak. That’s the reason I was chosen.”

“Did His Holiness ask you to marry the prince of the Slan Kingdom?”

“Of course. There’s no reason for me to be here if it wasn’t for His Holiness’s will.” said Gemma as if she was stating the obvious.

It somehow occurred to Eugene that there was a secret which is only shared between Sang-je and Anikas regarding their marriage with the king.

‘I need to find out what that is.’

“Not in my case, as I was the one who insisted on marrying the Desert King.”