Chapter 212

“I bet you have an inkling of who the informer really is by now.”

When Kasser commended Verus to keep a close watch on Cage (Rodrigo is his real name), the informer, he did not tell Verus that Cage was indeed the high priest of the Mara order.

The pretext for the surveillance was ostensibly because he deceived the queen, not because he was a heretic. Kasser had kept Verus in the dark as he did not want his exhaustive watch to evoke Cage’s vigilance unnecessarily.

But Kasser knew it was merely a question of time before Verus found out about Cage’s identity.

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Since when?”

“When I caught the movement of influential followers within the order making contact with him surreptitiously. But my conjecture hardened into certainty when he left the capital.”

Kasser nodded his head. He already expected it after he read about Verus’s report on his way to the Holy City for the ritual ceremony, as Verus acquired Mara order’s inside information right after Cage left the capital and found out about Knight Pides’s return to the capital.

“According to the intelligence, he is suspected of his involvement in a shady conspiracy and there’s also a speculation that there is someone else behind him who’s giving out instructions.”

“By someone else, do you mean the Great priest or the Saintess that you have commended for investigation, Your Majesty?”

“Although you said you have found no traces of their existence, it’s still hard to ignore since there have been speculations. And even if we arrest the fanatics, I don’t think we can force them into a proper confession. So instead, I am going to catch them in the act to find out what they are really up to. Their next movement is predicted to be around the period of transition from the dry season to the active period. Until then, don’t take your eyes off them and beware not to arouse their suspicion. Don’t leave them any room for doubt.”

“I will keep your words in mind, Your Majesty.” Verus said.

“You may leave now.”

Kasser lowered his gaze to one of the reports that Verus had brought and started reading. But somehow, Verus hesitated before he gave his reply.

“Your Majesty.”

“Is there anything else to report?”

“The queen had given me her order to carry out an investigation on Cage before. I would like to ask if there is any information I should keep confidential before I give Her Majesty my reports on the findings.”

“After what he had done to the queen, every information about him is fully shared between me and the queen. There is no need for you to give your reports to her again.”

Normally, Verus would have appreciated king’s consideration for lessening his work. But not this time, as he had received a special command before he came to the palace today.

His wife, who was invited to the place by the queen a couple of days ago, had dropped by his office on her way back home, looking heavily flustered.