Chapter 195

“What were you looking at so intently that you didn’t notice me approaching you?” Kasser asked, looking around the vast landscape where Eugene was looking at earlier.

Eugene unknowingly stared at a far-off distance while her mind drifted elsewhere. She completely zoned out, only coming back to her senses when Kasser called her. Eugene glanced at Kasser’s profile, studying the contours of his face while he’s still looking at the sands. She realized that it’s almost twenty-four hours since the brief date they had on the bridge.

She wasn’t able to take a good look at him when they parted earlier, too focused on moving to the palanquin as she settled comfortably inside. Although they had a small exchange before she went in, it was only a fleeting moment, barely lasting a full minute to be considered as an actual time spent together.

Moreover, last night, she slept alone in her cold bed. Kasser had sent a servant to her room, and told her to go sleep without him.

It seemed like he was pretty occupied last night, since there’s a lot of work that needs to be done for the five days they all would be gone. He finished his work in a hurry, even staying up all night cooped up inside his office as he fixed all the paperwork and tasks required of him.

It was only one night, and yet Eugene felt like she was seeing him for the first time after a long time apart. Last night was exceptionally lonely for her, the bed way too spacious and vacant for her liking, her hands skimmed the spot where Kasser used to lay on. She tossed and turned around the bed, only managing to sleep after finding a comfortable position to sleep in.

Still gazing at him, Kasser turned his head as they locked eyes with each other. Kasser was wondering why Eugene was looking at him so fondly, and Eugene then inched closer to him as she wrapped her arms around him, latching onto him tightly. She buried her face into his chest, breathing him in while securing him into her embrace.

“What’s wrong?” Kasser asked, his fingers drawing random patterns behind her back.

Eugene shook her head slightly, finding comfort in his soft caress. “Nothing.”

After meeting with Pides yesterday, Eugene’s anxiety grew even more intense, like a dam that overflowed greatly without cease.

He knows that Jin purposely married the King for a reason, and with the marriage came with the condition that Jin must produce an heir.

However, if Jin really had no intention to give birth to a successor, and were only after the national treasure, and if she was actually working with Sang-je, it would be a completely different situation. The marriage between Jin and the king would just be a fraudulent play that thoroughly fooled Kasser.

If it’s just giving birth to a successor, and in exchange her taking the national treasure, the king would understand. But if he learned that he was cheated right from the beginning, he would feel betrayed.

If that were the case, Kasser would surely hold a grudge, not forgiving the person who caused him treachery.

Eugene initially thought that Kasser was someone who had a cold demeanor inside out. But that impression seemed to have vanished, with Kasser looking at her so softly and delicately that Eugene could actually feel the tenderness behind those gazes. He also acted like he would do absolutely anything for her, making sure that she’s always well taken care of.