Chapter 247

As the carriage came to a halt, Eugene was filled with the same regret she had right before they set out on the road. Rather restless, she considered going back. ‘I should not have come in the first place.’ It felt like it was too soon for her to meet Jin’s family and wasn’t prepared for it.

Her such regret traces back to earlier when she had given her prompt consent to Jin’s second brother, Arthur, who invited her for dinner tonight, adding that everyone was eager to see her again. It was such an impulsive decision that she herself had no idea what had made her do so. She wondered if it was due to a memory of Jin’s which crossed her mind after seeing Arthur’s face.

[I know you hate me. You wish Flora was your sister instead, don’t you?]

Jin’s voice was faltering, it reminded Eugene of Jin’s sullen face. Arthur was looking no more than a boy in Jin’s memory. With a composed look that makes him look mature than his actual age, he said,

[Jin, you are my little sister. No matter what happens, I’ll always be on your side.]

Eugene was simply astonished by the fact that a brother could say such a dialogue one might only hear in novels to his sister. He was nothing like her own brothers who had always hurled insults or curses every time they called her.

After having met with Arthur, Eugene couldn’t help but to wonder about the other members of Jin’s family. But now that she had arrived at the Arse manor, she got cold feet and was gravely regretting her recklessness.

Eugene stopped Kasser as he tried to rise to his feet right across from her.

“Wait.” Kasser gazed into Eugene after seeing fear swept over her face. She just held onto him without saying a word. After a moment, he took her hand by one and patted on the back of her hand with the other.

“It’s alright. They are your family.”

‘Actually, they aren’t.’

Eugene said that only in her heart and tightened her grip on his hand.

“Promise me that you’ll help if I make any mistake.”

“Yes, I promise.”

Kasser couldn’t quite understand as to why she was trying to hide the fact that she had lost her memory to her family nor why she was so nervous to meet them. The Arses would never condemn her for anything no matter how big her mistake may be.

He had once met her father three years ago, before their wedding ceremony. Though they didn’t get the chance to have a long conversation, Kasser had felt the sincerity in her father’s short remark when he had asked him to take good care of his daughter. He got the impression that Eugene must have been an endearing daughter to her father.

***

Arthur was red in the cheeks; his palms had become sweaty as soon as he realized no one had come out to meet the royal couple after getting off from their carriage. He hastily asked the present butler who was coming up with him.

“Where’s father?”

“The master has gone out and is not back yet.”

“Did he mention when he would return?”

“He had said that he would be back before dark.”