Chapter 188

Eugene scoffed upon hearing Rodrigo’s question. “You think you can still fix it? If I tell you what’s going on?” She replied coldly, her question not warranting an answer.

“B-but Saintess…” Rodrigo muttered, his voice shaking tremendously as he went on, “Whatever the child did, I am sure that it was done out of loyalty to the Saint—“

“Shut up.” Eugene said sharply, cutting Rodrigo off midsentence. “You disappoint me.”

Rodrigo bit his lips, closing it in a thin line as he bowed low, his chin nearly touching his chest. Based on his experiences, it is best to beg the queen for forgiveness should he fall short of her expectations of him. “Please forgive me, for my efforts failed to meet the Saintesss’ expectations.” Rodrigo said glumly.

A new memory suddenly appeared in front of Eugene’s eyes. It was a scene where Rodrigo was pleading desperately in front of Jin, crouching down on the ground with his head a few inches away from the floor.

“Useless!” Jin screeched venomously.

Rodrigo’s body trembled on the ground, fear-stricken as he begged. [Saint, please wait a little longer. I’m doing the best I can, p-please.”]

“A little more, you say? Did you really think that I came all the way here just to hear something like that? May I remind you that it has been two months already since you told me that you would bring something!” Jin screamed, her voice looming around them.

“Saintess, searching for the source is really difficult—”

“I don’t want to hear your excuses! I’ll give you 10 days and I won’t wait any longer!”

Eugene could hear how furious Jin was with Rodrigo, her shrieks lingered for a moment in her ears, as if echoing from a distance.

What is that object? Is it an old book?

Jin also mentioned his abilities as Cage as an information broker during her first meeting with Rodrigo. Something seemed amiss with the whole situation, and Eugene was ashamed to come up with the wrong speculation.

It seemed like the actual reason why Jin met with Rodrigo was only to have someone collect the old books that she desired. ‘She risked contacting the Mara denomination, gave them money and had them call her Saintess, just for…books?

Eugene pondered long and hard before meeting with Rodrigo. She didn’t know the right questions to ask in order to get the answers she needed. Rodrigo, who was guarded enough to make several identities, kept his mouth shut despite noticing a slight change in the atmosphere.

“I don’t have much time. Tell me why you asked to see me so urgently.” Eugene prodded, intentionally telling Rodrigo that she wouldn’t be staying long as to aggravate him even further. Making Rodrigo feel restless was one of her plans before meeting him.

“Saintess, I prepared a gift for you. It is an item that you will be surely satisfied with, so please take it.”

Eugene lifted one eyebrow, curious as to what the item was. ‘Must be a bribe for an angry person.’ Rodrigo couldn’t bring himself out of this situation he was in, and it must be one of his tactics before that appeased Jin completely.

Rodrigo looked up at Eugene, looking at her as if he’s waiting for her permission. She returned his gaze without saying anything. Rodrigo turned around to retrieve the item, unfolded the leather that was enveloped around the object and placed it on the table facing her.

It was an old leather-bound book adorned with small, colorful gems. The book was unmistakably old.

Eugene stared at the book that lay face down on the table. Rodrigo seemed to have provided books directly to Jin, as well as information about which old, dated books were available. Rodrigo then gauged Eugene’s reaction, his fingers fidgeting as he spoke. “It’s the object the Saintess was looking for all this time. There are quite a few incantations cited there.”