Chapter 192

Kasser turned around the corner of the hall and stopped short. His lips curved gently into a smile, when he saw Eugene approaching from the other end of the corridor. He sauntered towards her.

The two came closer until they stood directly facing each other with less than a foot between them.

He scanned her countenance. To his relief, her expression was cheerful .

“Where are you headed, My Queen?”

“I was going to the bridge, Your Majesty.”

“I gather you are trying to get some fresh air.”

Above the bridge was Eugene’s favorite place. It was high and often windy ,so she often went there at tea-time.

She had to be careful with the table, on which her tea was laid out, for it was potentially dangerous during strong winds.

‘Was he heading my way because he had business with me?’

Eugene swallowed the sentence and her curiosity.

“Would you like to come along?” She was conscious of the courtiers around her and chose her words carefully.

In the past, she hadn’t given much thought to propriety. She would deliberately keep her tone informal and modern because it made her feel like she was in a play when she used the old-fashioned tone and mannerisms.

‘If even the king doesn’t object to it, no one else should either,’ she reasoned.

She had therefore, decided to speak comfortably. However, observing the royal aides, she realized that the formal, seemingly antiquated form of speech was powerful in expressing authority and maintaining dignity.

She decided that she would maintain a dignified formality around other people, but would drop all pretenses and speak comfortably when she was alone with Kasser.

“Your Majesty, You must be extremely busy looking over the state affairs I imagine. But, perhaps you could take a break and get some fresh air for a while ? ”

Kasser looked at Eugene for a moment and asked, “Would you like me to join you?”

“Yes, Your Majesty. I assure you the tea is great.”

Kasser laughed and moved to stand beside her, offering his arm.

“I have received an invitation from the lady, therefore I must escort her.”

Eugene laughed and took the offered arm.

A long line of court officials stretched behind the two. The courtiers following them, smiled in private, revelling in the bliss emanated by the conjugal harmony of the young couple.

***

He sighed . He was anxious, frustrated and heavily confused.

When she had announced that she would accompany him, he had been ecstatic, but as time passed, he was beginning to worry.

“It will be a difficult journey.”