Chapter 267

“Master.”

An old man, who was sitting with his back against the chair, opened his eyes in a sluggish manner. Despite his gaunt-looking face, his eyes, that were hidden behind the lined skin just until a moment ago, were still gleaming with life.

“Come in.”

Soon, a man in his forties and a young little girl came through the open door. They came to a stop and lowered their heads as soon as they saw the old man.

“Have a seat.”

The old man rose from his desk when the father and daughter had taken their seats on the sofa. He may be slow-footed, but he managed to keep an upright posture as he walked up to them.

Rahan, the head of the Muen family, then said as he gazed at his son.

“Take the child to that place today.”

The old man’s voice was indeed subdued and raspy. Also, his dry hacking cough showed no sign of stopping after his last words were caught in his throat.

Thas, who was the likely heir to the Muen Family, waited for his father’s cough to subside with a pitiful look before he opened his mouth.

“By ‘that place’, do you mean the underground?”

Structurally, the Muen manor had no underground. Instead, it was a secret code which they frequently used in their conversation.

“Yes.”

“But master, Hitasya has just turned twelve.”

There was only one chance for the descendants of the Muen family to visit the underground and there was an age limit. One could only pay a visit just once, before the day of one’s fifteenth birthday.

Rahan fixed his gaze at his granddaughter, whose eyes were full of curiosity all the while, regardless of the two adults who spoke in the words which she couldn’t quite yet comprehend.

“I’m afraid I won’t be alive until then.”

“Father…”

Thas’s face contorted with grief at once. He felt even more miserable when not even a word of empty retort came out from him. As a matter of fact, his father had long been suffering from a chronic disease and his condition worsened as years passed by. And as it happens, he had already passed out several times this year and even his memories were becoming faint from him.