Nineteen: An Unexpected Turn

A/N: I drew the photo above and made it the book cover because I liked it so much. Hope you guys like it too ☺️

Also, MANGA SPOILERS in this chapter and heavy manga spoilers to come in future chapters. Please read at your own discretion.

Akiyasu

"This needs to stop now. It's gone too far." I insisted, shrugging a coat on and attempting to walk out the front door.

Aizawa had only been home for an hour, but when he told me what had happened with Tansho, I lost it. I never wanted to pretend to be dead in the first place, and now my brother was going to get himself killed getting revenge on people for something they weren't successful doing.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me back before I could get to the door, forcing me to turn around and face him. "Don't be stupid. You have no idea where he could be."

"I'll do an interview. Let everyone know I'm okay. He'll see it." I argued, ripping my arm out of his grip.

"How do you know? What if he's already infiltrating their base? You think he's gonna stop and watch some tv before he continues with his rampage?"

"I don't know!" I shouted at him, throwing my arms up in frustration. "I never wanted to do this to begin with, but I let you and Hawks convince me and now look what's happened!"

"So, this is my fault?" He threw back at me.

I pinched the bridge of my nose in irritation. "I need to think."

"Yeah, probably a good idea before you go and put yourself in danger again."

I ignored his remark, noting that Eri had peered her head around her door frame to see what the commotion was about.

Going to the living room, I turned on the TV and changed the channel to her favorite cartoon, sitting her down at the couch before I went into my own bedroom, Aizawa following. Closing the door behind us, I crossed my arms and turned to face him, trying to compose myself.

"Look, it's not like this whole lie is going to last very long anyway. Winter break is over tomorrow and the students will be back on campus. How long do you think we could possibly hide a top ten pro hero from nosy students?" When I said it out loud, it was hard to believe that leaving UA for Hosu, coming back because Asui had been attacked, planning the trap for the League, fighting the battle, and getting blown up in the hospital had all taken place over the span of fourteen days. It felt like it had been ages.

"That's besides the point, Akiyasu. If you leave now, you're putting yourself in danger.

"So I'm supposed to sit here and do nothing as my brother gets himself killed?" I challenged.

"Yes! Dammit, there's nothing you can do!" He all but yelled at me.

By now, my chest was heaving with anger and I opened my mouth to respond when my phone rang, interrupting me.

Exasperated, I answered it with an unintended bite in my tone. "What?"

"Element? It's the chief of police."

Damn. He was one of the only people who knew I was alive, and if he was calling me, something bad had happened.

"What's going on?" My tone had immediately changed, which alerted Aizawa in an instant.

"It's about Dabi. He's escaped custody."

Taking a deep breath, I collapsed against the wall behind me. "You better have a good explanation."