Twenty Nine: As Bad As It Can Get

When the morning rolled around, Hizashi came into the room and motioned to Shota, prompting him to get up and leave. I had only gotten a few hours of sleep and had woken up in the early morning hours, so I remained on the floor beside Eri's bed, watching over her as Shota and Hizashi spoke in the main room of the dorm.

The voices were hushed enough that I couldn't make out any words, but I realized there was a third voice- one that I recognized.

Getting up from my place on the floor, I clambered to my feet, my body aching in stiffness, and made my way to the doorway. I paused there, staring at the three men in the living room as they talked amongst themselves.

He was easy to recognize in his brown jacket and vermillion wings- Keigo Takami.

"We think we might know where she is. Endeavor and I have been tailing every villain that we think might be even slightly associated with the League."

"Where?" Shota asked.

Keigo shook his head. "Sorry, man, I can't tell you. I know you're going to run down there head first."

"Because you're not doing anything!" Shota snapped. "That's my daughter. The longer you take, the slimmer our chances of getting her back."

"You could sabotage your chances of doing just that." Keigo argued.

"Where is she?" I asked this time, pushing myself off the door frame and sauntering into the room.

Keigo turned to look at me, his face softening. "Akiyasu, listen to me-"

I held my hand up to silence him. "Keigo, tell me where my daughter is."

"We aren't even sure we know yet. You need to be patient."

"Be patient?" I said incredulously. "Do you have any idea what I'm going through right now?"

"I can imagine." He tried to soothe me, walking closer with his hand out, attempting to calm me.

I jerked away from him. "No you can't! I had her, Keigo. She was in my arms! I had her! I should have been able to protect her!"

"You're not a god, Aki."

"No, I'm a mother. It's my job to protect my children. To make sure they are safe. And I failed. I have to get her back. Right now."

"You didn't fail as a mother." Hizashi spoke up, coming up behind Keigo to comfort me. "You did everything you could. In this world, we can't always protect everyone, including the people we love."

I shook my head, bouncing from foot to foot as anxiety took hold of my body. My hands trembled involuntarily as I spoke. "That doesn't make me feel any better. Nothing will make me feel better. Stop trying to comfort me!" I snapped at them. "Nothing you say will ever calm me down. The only thing that will is having my daughter back."

"Akiyasu," Shota interjected, pushing past Hizashi and Keigo to come to me. He grabbed me by my shoulders, stroking my skin with his thumbs. "They're just trying to help us."

Pulling myself out of his grip, I turned on my heel and snatched my bag of belongings that had survived the fire, pulling a long, black, hooded cardigan from the depths of the bag before slipping it on. "You know what? I am exhausted. With everything. Im tired of failing. Im tired of other people failing me. I can't do this anymore."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Shota asked.

"It means I can't do this!" I yelled, throwing my hands up as I spoke. "I can't do it anymore. I can't keep living in fear. I can't wake up every day wondering who or what I'm going to lose. I am fucking losing it! They're driving me insane."