[Chapter 18]

Hotch's POV:

I had received word we were getting a new agent. I prayed it wasn't anyone that would put a damper on the team. We had just lost two agents who were very close to all of us. Then again, knowing Strauss, she might do something like that. I hear a knock at my door.

"Agent Hotchner I'm sure you remember-" I cut her off, not caring about her next words.

"Dave!" I smile.

"Aaron!" He reciprocates, "how ya been?"

"I'm good. Im great," I answer.

We meet at a hug.

"I would say so," he answers.

"Saw you on Tv last week. Can't believe you what to come back here," I say.

He gives me a look as if he can't believe it either. I notice Strauss still lingering.

"Well, I'll let the two of you catch up. If you need anything I'm in my office," she leaves with a frown.

"Thanks," I try to be polite, "So how long's it been?"

"Dinner, almost three years ago. But the last time I was in the B.A.U, you were sharing a desk with two others agents in that god awful bunker we were in," he moves his hands.

"Oh, I remember," I say sarcastically.

"Congratulations," he gives me a laugh.

"Thanks. Well, there's one just like this next door if your interested," I gesture around the office.

"We're ready for the briefing," Penelope says as we are talking.

It's not the first case she's briefed. Ever since Emily 'died' JJ has taken her role in the field, while Garcia briefs and acts as a communications liaison.

"Garcia, this is SSA David Rossi," I inform.

"Hello, my gum drop!"

"Nice to meet you".

"We'll be right there," I answer her initial statement.

"Wow, she's different," Dave says.

"You have no idea," I laugh, "Come meet the team".

We walk to the bullpen, where everyone is gathered.

"SSA David Rossi, this is SSA Derek Morgan-"

"It's an honor Agent Rossi," he says politely, something unusual.

"Please just Dave," he answers.

"Dr. Spencer Reid-"

"Sir," he nods.

"And SSA Jennifer Jareau," I finish.

He reached for her hand to which she fumes.

"Oh, so not only is Emily gone, but now that Gideon's gone you have to replace him only after a week? You can't just replace family! You can't!" She yells as she walks away.

"JJ!" Reid calls out.

"Dave I'm so sorry, Reid what was that?" I ask alarmed.

"Yea, JJ never acts like that... what did you do," Morgan looks at him sternly.

I watch as his face falls.

"JJ and I, we um had a check up at the doctors for the babies two days ago. W-we found out she miscarried with one of the twins," I watch as he holds in tears.

"Reid, we didn't-" Morgan doesn't finish his sentence, he only leans in to give Reid a hug.

"Agent Rossi, she truly didn't mean that. She's just, she's been taking it hard. I've got to go and find her," he leaves.