[Chapter 64]

Emily's POV:

"Ok, thanks. So, Garcia checked out everyone associated with that theater production of The Merry Wives of Windsor, they're all clear," Rossi announces.

"Wait, the gowns have to be connected to the theater somehow. It can't just be a coincidence," I point out.

"There's something else that's been bothering me. Why is he putting white face makeup on his victims after they're dead?" Reid questions.

"Isn't that what they wore in the Elizabethan Era?" Rossi gives him a confused look.

"Yes, but only upper-class women wore white face makeup. It was a symbol of virginity and purity. But he's dressing them like characters out of  The Merry Wives of Windsor, which is one of Shakespeare's rare plays about the middle class," Reid explains.

"So it's inconsistent," JJ states.

"The makeup could mean that he believes death is purifying them," Aaron suggests.

"What if this is like the Salem Witch Trials, where they'd test the girls by trying to drown them? I-if they died, it meant they were obviously innocent. If they somehow survived, they were considered witches and therefore hanged," Reid spits out a history lesson.

"Wonderful. A lose-lose situation," Rossi says sarcastically.

"The unsub didn't submerge the victims in water to torture them, it was some sort of test?" I catch on.

"With death being the only possible outcome," Reid nods.

"Well, if he believes he's killing witches, he probably thinks that he's a vigilante or a protector against evil of some sort," Aaron offers.

"Laying the victims out the way he did could be a message to the devil," JJ agrees.

"A symbol of victory and a warning, like putting a head on a spike," Rossi adds.

*time skip*

"Okay, I did some varsity-level sleuthing, and it turns out the costumes were donated to the theater by a young actress named Cate Harris. She was in their production of The Merry Wives of Windsor 16 years ago, which is the only other time that play was produced there," Garcia informs.

"Where is she now?" I wonder.

"Oh, I was hoping you'd Sk, because I have the answer. She died in 1988 in the fire at St. Baldwin's psychiatric hospital," she explains.

"Was she a patient there?" JJ speaks up.

"She... was, some even say she started the fire that she died in," Garcia let's out a quiet shriek.

"Do you have her medical records?" Aaron questions.

"I do not, apparently the owner was a techno-freak like our amazing Dr. Reid, so he only kept paper files. He thought it was easier to keep patient confidentiality this way," she states.

"I know where they keep those old records. It's only a 15 minute drive from here," The detective offers.

"Alright, Emily, JJ. See if you can find anything about a Cate Harris," Aaron orders.

*time skip*

"Apparently, the state would have to pay for a new storage facility if they moved the records. Someone decided, why bother if the old place still works?" The man wait for the door to be opened, "ladies," he allows us to enter first.

"No electricity I take it," I assume.

"You would be correct," he sighs.