[Chapter 72]

Hotch's POV:

"Hotch, Garcia and I took a look at the security tapes and we found a message in it. We also know he's left the premise," Morgan announces.

"What did it say?" I almost yell.

"You know where to go," he answers.

"What kind of bull shit is that?" I growl.

Morgan gives me a apologetic look.

"Garcia, can you get more information on Foyet's death? I want every detail no matter how small," Dave orders.

"You got it!" She rushes back to her set up.

"Are you sure you don't have any idea what he means by that?" Morgan asks again.

"I—no. I just need more time. It's already been 6 hours. Most abducted minors are murdered by the 3rd hour and almost none are found alive after 24 hours," I begin hyperventilating.

"Aaron, that's not the case with you. This is more personal," Dave tries to calm me.

"Would that give her better chances? Or would he just kill her sooner?!" I shout.

*time skip*

"Okay, I've found something that doesn't fit. Foyet has the blood type of B negative, but on the M.E. report shows he has a blood type of O positive," Garcia shows.

"Well, couldn't the report have just been wrong?" Dave asks.

"Yes, but no in this case. The M.E. would have seen the mistake on the medical records, retested, and corrected the mistake. It's also not a common mistake to make if it does happen. The chances are extremely unlikely," Reid answers.

"Well that still doesn't explain the mix up," I speak up.

"I'm looking into that as we speak, I just wanted to give you an update," Garcia replies.

"Oh," I sigh.

"Hotch, Emily is asking for you," JJ calls out.

"I'm coming," I yell.

I make my way to her door, pausing for a moment to gather myself.

"Emily?" I question once I enter.

"How did I not know something was wrong? What about that mother's instinct I'm supposed to have?" She bits her lip.

"Em, you couldn't have known. He's not someone who you would have guessed. Even we thought he was a victim at first," I explain.

"I know. I read the case file... that doesn't change the fact that I should have known!" She breaks down.

I rush to hold her, but she thrashes.

"Aaron! I can't, please!" She pleads.

"Em, shhh, it's going to be alright," I try to calm her down.

"No!" She muffled her scream into my chest.

JJ stands a few meters away, unsure whether to approach her in such a state. I shake my head, telling her it would be better if she stepped out for a moment.

"I can't Aaron, I cant," she sobs.

"We're going to find her. I promise you that," I assure through my own cries.

*time skip*

JJ re-enters the room twenty minutes later. Dave and Reid follow shortly after. I stay laying down with Emily in my lap, it was the only way to stop her thrashing and panicking. I hug her tightly, making sure to comfort her.

"Garcia and Morgan are still working on the M.E. report lead, we just thought we should come in and talk," Dave says quietly.

"I thought it might be better to include you in on the case even though your on leave... you have a right to know what's going on," JJ stares at the ground.

The room stays an uncomfortable silence before I speak up.

"I know what he means," I come to realize.

"What are you talking about?" JJ questions.

"His message to me. I know what it means. He wants me to go back to where he killed Haley," I shutter.

*time skip*

"Hey, Garcia? Can you hear me?" JJ places them on speaker.

"Loud and clear Peaches, what can I do for you?" She answers.

"Garcia, we need a list of owners on a 451 Rockefeller Drive," I announce.

"Okay... we have a— Aaron Hotchner and Haley Brooks. It was your—" I stop her.

"Yes, that's the house. Who lives there now?" I say a bit impatiently.

"A Kevin Baskin.... I just searched for him in our data base but nothing comes up," she replies.

"That's because it was one of the aliases he used. That's where Foyet is," I grit my teeth.

"We'll get available units out there now," Dave reaches for his phone.

"No. I need to go," I slide out from underneath Emily.

"Aaron, no," Dave stops me.

"I've done it before, I can do it again," I grab my jacket, throwing it on.

"Aaron..." Dave warns.

I ignore him and throw open the door. I rush to the exit. Luckily they had reopened the hospital once they found out he had left. I get into my car and start the engine. My phone rings, Reid's name flashes on the top.

"Hotch, you can't go in there alone. You can't do it again, there's too much at stake!" Reid shouts.

"I know what I can handle, I'm not gonna let him take away anything else away from me," I mumble.

"You need to wait for backup. You don't even have a vest," he reminds me.

"I still have my gun. I just need to get Alana back with us safely," I reason.

"You won't be able to save her if you're dead Aaron!" Dave exclaims.

I hang up the phone and pull out of the parking lot. I didn't need to be told what and who I could handle. I know Foyet, I have an understanding of who he is. I know what he wants, but I won't let him have that. My phone begins to ring again, annoyed, I answer it, expecting it to be Dave.

"Dave, your not going to change my mind about this! You don't him or what it's like, and you don't know what's it's like to have a daughter either, let alone one who was abducted," I try to stay calm.

"Agent Hotchner, it's great to finally hear your voice again," a wicked voice laughs.

History repeats its self. Wars, pandemics, even our daily lives. Things do change though, you just never know what it will be

1035 words