[Chapter 61]

Hotch's POV:

"There are hundreds of bars and clubs in the South Bay. Not including ones in hotels and restaurants. I mean, how are we supposed to narrow it down?," Detective Parker gives a discouraged look.

I continue think about Dave and Reid's finding. The unsub being a bartender would definitely fit how he found out about his victims, why they didn't leave a trail, and how he knew which car was there's.

"That doesn't take into account a lot of bartenders work multiple venues— private parties, events," JJ agrees.

"We're looking for a needle in a haystack," He continues.

"If the unsub's a bartender, he probably hears sob stories all the time. The trigger's gotta be something more specific than that," Morgan adds.

"It can't just be about loss, like you said?" The detective questions.

"These losses aren't sufficient enough to warrant mercy killings. Especially not by someone who's heard it all before,"Emily explains.

"Guys, what if the losses aren't what's triggering the unsub? What if it's the catalyst to the losses?" Morgan paces.

"A behavioral trait each of the victims had that made them vulnerable to loss," Reid catches on.

"Or an event so overwhelming it's consuming everything in their life," Morgan continues.

"Loss of job, home, family. What event could cause each of these?" I try to think of possibilities.

"What if it's the emotional toll of a failed relationship?" Morgan suggests.

"He's targeting victims with broken hearts," Dave puts it into easier words.

*time skip*

"The victim is Doug Summers, owner of the wrecking yard. The car was on top of him when it was crushed," Emily explains.

"Maybe he stumbled on the unsub in action. This wasn't planned out like the others. This was impulsive," I look around the yard.

"His entire M.O. had changed. He wanted Doug to suffer," Emily states.

I call Garcia for more information.

"Hey Garcia, I need you to run background details on Doug Summers. He runs the LB wrecking yard in Torrance," I give her the basic details.

"Checking. Uh, it seems clean as a whistle. Hold on. His name's listed in a legal docket. Mr. Summers is currently testifying in a custody battle between Michael Janeczko and Andrea Wright. Janeczko used to work at the wrecking yard, and Wright is Mr. Summers' new fiancée. She filed for divorce two months ago," Garcia lists out.

"That's right when the killings started," Emily reminds.

"Where's Janeczko?" I question.

"Last known address was the house he shared with his former wife," she gives us the address.

*time skip*

"I don't understand what does the FBI want with Michael?" Andrea asks.

"We need to find him as soon as possible. Do you know where he's been staying?" I question.

"He runs a bar on second. The owners back east so he's been sleeping g in the loft above it. Please, what did he do?" She turns to Emily.

"He's a suspect in a murder investigation," she gives limited details.

"Mike? That's ridiculous," she shakes her head.

"We think he's been going through an emotional break," I add.