[Chapter 57]

Emily's POV:

"As I was saying to the agents, this is a topic on which we usually agree to silently disagree," Rossi's priest friend states.

"And we all respect that. We are not here to examine your beliefs in demonology or exorcism, but we are operating on the theory that the person responsible for these deaths does believe," I state.

"We believe the inciting incident was the death of Father Rul Del Toro is Galicia, Spain, four months ago," Rossi informs.

"How so David?" The priest asks.

"There's an element who believes that the death was actually a murder," Reid speaks up.

"You—you're not suggesting that this is some kind of retribution?" A man in the back questions.

"Even a priest can have a psychotic break. He may be under the delusion that he is working for God," I offer.

"The man we're looking for would be obsessed with the event in Galicia," Rossi adds.

"He believes he's fighting evil and may very well have followed these men here to Washington," I suggest.

"Uh, we being that one of the exorcisms took place over enough days for the victim to die of dehydration," Reid informs.

"Uh, if I may, an exorcism is like a prize fight. It's completely draining, both physically and spiritually. Now, if this man truly preformed three rituals within the last few weeks, he would need medical care," Rossi's friend tells us.

"Is there somewhere he would go to convalesce?" I wonder.

"Um, anything less than a working hospital would be too dangerous," he responds.

Reid immediately jumps up and exits the church. Not long after I follow to see what he discovered.

"Do you have anything?" I hear him ask, "we got him," he turns to me.

*time skip*

"Are you Father Paul Silvano?" Rossi and I both pull out our badges.

"Yes," he replies.

"Were you present at the deaths of Thomas Valentine, Matthew Benton, and Patrick Cavanaugh?" Rossi asks another question.

He turns around to face us.

"I've been expecting you," he looks at me.

"He asked you a question," I stare firmly.

"Yes, I was present," he replies.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say—" he cuts me off.

"Guarda nel cassetto del comodino," he begins speaking in Italian.
(Look in the nightstand)

"What did he say?" Reid asks us.

"He wants you to look in the drawer," I answer.

"We're both fighting the same evil," he says as Reid opens it.

"What is it?" I don't take my eyes off of Paul.

"It's diplomatic status," Reid takes it in his hands.

"He has immunity?!" I raise my voice.

*time skip*

I sit in front of him in the question room.

"Explain to me why you were the last person in the room when three men died?" I try not to yell.

"I'm a priest. I was there for them spiritually," he lies.