[Chapter 37]

Hotch's POV:

I finally return to the station, telling Mr. Tilghman what was found and how it plays into our case.

"We can't tell you exactly where this unsub's going or what he's thinking, but his actions will betray his intentions," I tell.

"And how's that?" Mr. Tilghman questions.

"Earlier tonight at the gas station, he could have stolen money, but the cash register wasn't empty. That tells us that he's not planning a long road trip. And yet he's logical enough to be in survival mode," I begin our profile.

"So logic tells him to escape. I get that. But what the hell makes him sew mouths shut?" He wonders.

"It's a compulsion over which he has no control," I explain.

"So how do we stop him?" Mr. Tilghman interrogates.

"Well, truth shows itself through actions. What's this guys truth? He feels silenced. Agent Hotchner has a theory that he had a speech impediment that made him embarrassed to talk. He may have been relentlessly teased because of it," Morgan adds.

"His prior victims tell us a woman, likely a mother figure is to blame. Chances are she was abusive and convinced him that whatever words he had were worthless," Emily takes over.

"This guy hasn't spoken a word in eight years. Could he be mute?" Tilghman wonders.

"Definitely not," Alex states.

"You sound pretty damn sure," he says skeptically.

"He refers to IPA in a few of his personal writings," she gives her reasoning.

"What's IPA?" He asks yet again.

"International Phonetic Alphabet. It represents only those qualities of speech that are in spoken language. It's proof that he's able to hear, which means most likely he can talk but chooses not to," Alex informs.

"Then what's he use it for?"

"He uses multiple languages which highlights his desire to communicate. IPA is an interesting choice. I've found that those who understand something as detailed as that are also proficient in sign language," she rambles.

"So these words that he's leaving in theses mouths are directly taught if us?" Tilghman infers.

"Those messages-" Morgan begins.

"Have not been analyzed yet," Alex cuts him off.

I watch as Morgan gives her a look.

"Not to change the subject, but he's incredibly well read, which tells us that he most likely grew up in isolation, with literature being his only escape. His own writings are not as profound, and despite his reading comprehension, we don't believe he's had an extended education," Reid begins a rant to drive away from the notes.

"Everything about his psychosis says the spoken word has value. It also greatly angers him," Dave. states.

"And if he was yelled at or made to feel stupid, he held on to his anger until he snapped," I finish for Dave.

"So why hasn't he fled the area?" Tilghman questions, "I mean he knows there's a manhunt going on here. Wouldn't he want to get as far away as possible?"

"Well, he could be on a mission. We just don't know if that mission includes a person or a place. But we do know his target is close to here," Emily ends the profile.

"Thank you," I announce to the remaining officers.

I notice Morgan stop Alex from walking away. He had a worried an confused look on his face. I also see a bit of anger, but I decide not to intervene.