[Chapter 88]

Hotch's POV:

"This unsub hunts for abducts, and keeps his victims in the woods," I begin the profile.

"We believe he left civilization and forged a home for himself right here in the wilderness," Morgan takes over.

"Which means he's lost any societal or moral restraints," Dave explains.

"He's devoted his life to taking children, and he's found the perfect place to hide them," Alex warns.

"He's found it made a shelter which is difficult to find. It allows him to withstand harsh weather and is secure enough to keep his victims from escaping," I go further in depth.

"So it must be sizes me, underground, or in a mountainside," Morgan offers.

"Sometimes the voices of trapped children gets drowned out by search parties calling for them," Dave reminds.

"Which is why we're asking you to call out Robert and Ana's names but leave pauses in between to listen for their responses," Kate advises.

"Okay, let's go," I direct.

*time skip*

We continue walking throughout the woods, calling the names of Robert and Ana over and over. We continue to listen out for them, praying for any sign of them. Within two hours, one of the dogs picks up a scent. We follow it, praying to find them both alive. Eventually, we're led to Ana, when Kate approaches her.

"Ana, it's okay. It's okay. My name's Kate. You're safe now. We've been looking for you for a long time honey," she hugs her tightly, "Ana, where's you're brother sweetheart?" She asks quietly.

"I-I thought he'd run after me, but I-I looked back and he—he wasn't there," she cries.

"Ana, do you know which direction you came from?" I ask.

"I don't know. I just started running. Robert told me not to stop running no matter what," she breathes heavily.

"Hey, Ana it's okay. You did the right thing," I reassure her.

"Listen, this nice Ranger, she's going to take you home to your mom and dad now, okay?" Kate motions to the woman behind us.

Ana nods as the ranger hugs her tightly, picking her up so she can rest. I watch her for a moment, thinking about Alana. I think about how she could have been put in the exact same situation.

"Hotch?" Kate questions once she realizes I'd stopped.

I snap out of my thoughts and quickly follow her and the search dog.

*time skip*

"Robert!" I shout.

The dog continues barking.

"Robert!" Morgan takes his turn in calling his name.

"She must've come through here," Kate calls out as the dog presses forward.

"He's gotta have a shelter nearby," Morgan assures.

The dogs lead us to a cave, I prepare myself for what I might find.

"Alright. Back the dogs up," I order.

"I've never seen this cave before. It could be a den, or it could go deep," the ranger warns us.

"This has gotta be it," Kate states.

"Alright, let's go," I whisper.

I walk inside first, my gun at the ready and my flashlight pointed. I listen closely, not wanting to miss any important sound or noise. I hear the sound of boots against the harsh dirt ground as both Kate and Morgan follow me inside. I pear around the cave-like place, finding a cage along with supplies. I spot a small water hole as well. I look carefully, not wanting to overlook a single thing, or an important clue about where Robert may be.