𝗢𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝗬𝗼𝘂

Y/n ditched work.

She ditched work just to talk to Sui.

And it was worth it.

Sui didn't seem to care what pronouns y/n used for him, he didn't even seem to know what those were, so they settled after a brief explanation that ended with Sui saying he didn't care period.

"Y/n? May I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"This name you've given me... does someone else you know also have this name?"

Y/n nearly choked and broke into a fit of coughing with a strangled, "ᵒʰ ˢʰⁱᵗ"

"Are you okay?" Sui asked, sounding rather concerned, "I know you mortals are quite fragile. Don't tell me you've gotten sick."

"I'm not sick. You just surprised me." y/n managed to say, "But yes, I actually named you after someone who was very precious to a close friend of mine."

"A dead fish?"

Y/n wheezed, "How did you-"

"I heard you giggling about it on your way here." Sui sighed, "Can I choose a different name?"

"Sure, I guess. As long as I get to call you Sui when we're alone." y/n agreed.

"Very well. Only you are allowed to call me Sui." the voice replied, "When we're alone."

"So, Sui. What would you like to be called when others are around?" y/n asked.

"..." he seemed to be thinking, "Haiyang."

"Haiyang?" y/n echoed, "Oh! May I call you Yangyang as a cute nickname?"

"Don't push your luck, y/n."

"...can I see your face?"

"What did I just tell you."

"Okay, okay!" y/n laughed then pursed her lips, "Man, guess we'll never get to make eye contact. Ah... that would've been a super important part of our friendship..."

'Friendship...' Haiyang thought, 'A friend? Does she see me as a friend?'

Y/n blinked when she heard the sound of water moving and stopped breathing for a split second when someone placed their hands on the side of the boat.

The face of a young man peeped over the side of the boat, steel blue eyes staring at y/n. A light blush dusted his face and he looked as though he wanted to duck right back into the water.

"There." he murmured, "Here's my face."

Y/n reached out hesitantly and pat Haiyang's head, marveling at how soft his long cerulean blue hair was.

"Please rail me-" y/n wheezed.

"Excuse me?"

"NOTHING!"

Haiyang hummed quietly as he cocked his head to the side, "Don't you have work to do or something? You're quite the responsible mortal who works a lot. Have you taken a break?"

"Work can wait." y/n chirped before pulling her hand away from her new friend's hair much to his dismay, "Ah... but you're right... maybe I should-"

"No. Forget it. Stay right here." Haiyang ordered, grabbing her wrist and placing her hand right back on his head again, "And do that thing where you play with my hair. It feels nice."

Y/n laughed, "Hah, you're just like Ayumu! Alright then, I'll stay a little longer. Then I'll go to work."

"Mhm, okay, deal..." Haiyang mumbled, eyes fluttering closed as y/n gave him headpats.

~~~ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ•°*

Okay, so it wasn't completely worth it.

Ningguang wasn't too happy about her being late and y/n felt kinda bad.

"Sorry, Ningguang." y/n apologized, "I got caught up with some personal stuff and relaxed a bit too long..."

"If a break was what you needed, you could've asked." Ningguang told her and y/n nodded.

"Y-Yes, I know! M'sorry!" y/n apologized again, "It won't happen again! I promise!"

"There's no need for that."

'I'm getting fired, aren't I?'

"I'll be sure to give you more days off."

Y/n deadpanned, "P-Pardon?"

"You'll have a day off twice every week. Which days you want to use as your days off are completely up to you." Ningguang explained, "Under one condition."

"?"

"We'll have lunch together once a month." Ningguang finished, "Where and what we eat are for you to decide."

"Deal." y/n said without hesitation, 'I WOULD BE INSANE TO DECLINE A DEAL AS GREAT AS THIS ONE!'

Ningguang smiled, "Wonderful."

"Would you like to have lunch today?" y/n suggested, "I know a pretty nice place that serves amazing food!"

"Not today, I'm afraid. Some very important guests will be here very soon." Ningguang replied.

"Oh, would you like me to come along and greet them with you?" y/n asked and Ningguang nodded.

"Yes, that would be greatly appreciated." she accepted and y/n beamed.

Y/n halted as a new pair of footsteps reached her ears, "Oh, someone just arrived. Maybe it's those important guests."

"Maybe." Ningguang hummed, "Let's go and see, shall we y/n?"

Y/n wandered after Ningguang with a delighted little smile, 'Ah... nothing could ruin this day...'

As they left the Jade Chamber, y/n spotted the two guests who happened to be Paimon and Aether.

They made eye contact.

'...I spoke too soon.'