𝗞𝗮𝗼𝗿𝗶

"Hm..."

Within the Great Narukami Shrine, in the shade of the Sacred Sakura, sat a young shrine maiden. She had long pink hair, turquoise eyes and a stoic expression on her face.

"That damn oni..." she grumbled as she got to her feet, dusting herself off.

Kaori, just Kaori, was a hardworking young lady with a strong sense of responsibility.

She was a Shrine Maiden who was very good at one thing. Keeping a unruly individual in check.

Most prominently a certain crimson oni.

"ARATAKI ITTO, GET YOUR PUNK ASS BACK OVER HERE AND APOLOGIZE!!!!" Kaori roared as she ran down the street after the Crimson Oni.

"NOPE! I WON FAIR AND SQUARE!"

"THAT DOESN'T JUSTIFY STEALING THE KID'S SNACKS YOU BUFFOON!!!"

That was especially useful at the moment.

Ever since Itto had lost his vision, he'd been more of a pain in the behind.

And since y/n wasn't there to keep him busy nor was Ayumu there to beat his 🍑, it was up to Kaori to stop him when he did something.

What a pain... she already had enough on her plate keeping other buffoons in check!

"If you're going to complain, please do so while sober." Kaori said with a simple smile, "I can hardly understand you, sir."

"Damn woman!" the drunk geezer snapped, grabbing the Shrine Maiden by the wrist, "You think you're above me just because you're a Shrine Maiden!"

"Not at all." Kaori replied, her tone even, 'I'm above you because I'm not causing a damn ruckus you fiend...'

"Tch, I'll show you! Women are only good for two things, house keeping and taking care of children!" the man spat.

"Please release me."

"And here you go ordering me around you useless brat!" the drunkard bellowed and a raised a hand to slap Kaori.

WHAM

The people nearby gasped, staring in shock as Kaori's swift punch to the man's sternum brought him to his knees.

"Women are only good for housekeeping and taking care of children, eh?" she sneered, planting a foot on the man's head and pressing down, "Try saying that 💩 again with your face in the dirt you worm."

Next thing the drunkard knew, he was being dragged to the police station.

As Kaori descended the stairs leading to the Shrine, her mind began to wander.

A year ago, y/n had escaped Inazuma with the help of Kaori's older brother while Ayumu became a wanted fugitive.

Five months ago, Koari's older brother was thrown into prison for attacking an entire platoon of the Shogun's Soldiers.

And two weeks prior, the elderly man who had raised the three, mentored Ayumu and Y/n and had once been a member of the Shogun's Army himself...

Well-

He fell ill.

He became very sick and was showing no signs of recovering despite Kaori's best attempts to help him get better.

The fifteen year old had a lot bearing down on her, a heavy weight on her shoulders with each passing day.

She worried for her older brother, the prison he'd been kept in having been blown to smithereens not long ago.