Chapter 2

Dean said" You're kidding me."
Kevin said" What? Is it too much to ask if we can swing by and check on my mom?"
" Swing by? It's a day's drive in the opposite direction. You know that, right?"
" Yes, I understand we're in a hurry."
" Okay, well, then, what's the problem?"
" Channing's broken neck is my problem! As in I'd rather not see my mom twisted into a corkscrew."
Sam said" Kid's got a point, Dean."
Dean said" Stay out of this. Kevin, your mom is fine."
Kevin said" How can you possibly know that?"
" Because Crowley needs her to be, okay? In fact, he's probably got the place stacked with bodyguards right now, protecting her so that when you do show up, they'll pounce on you both."
" Is that supposed to make me feel better?"
" She's bait, man, plain and simple. And you want to swim right up and bite the hook? Look, we have got Crowley by the short and curlies, okay? All we need to do is find the tablet, whip up the spell, and- Boom!- sunshine and sandy beaches."
" Dean, my mom's all alone. She's surrounded by demons. Can you really not understand why I want to make sure she's okay?" Dean looked at Sam, then down, Kevin's won, he had a point!
" Son of a bitch. Fine, let's go."
———
We were outside Kevin's house, surveying it,
Sam said" Tiger mom, 9:00." Kevin took the binoculars,
He said" Where?"
" Left window."
" She seems okay. Sad... but okay."
Dean said" Check out the mailman."
" Yeah, that's Carl. So what?"
" Yeah, well, Carl's filled your mom's mailbox three times since we've been sitting here."
" He's a demon?"
" And see the gardener? Think that plant needs any more water?"

Dean killed the gardener demon, then the mailman demon came in, Dean waved at him, Sam stabbed him.

Kevin knocked on his door,
He said" Hi, mom."
She said" Oh, ke-kevin! Kevin!" Sam and Dean splashed her," What..."
Dean said" She's clean." Kevin hugged her,
Sam said" Do you smell that?" My eyes glowed, we went in, Sam and I saw a demon trying to smoke out." Et secta diabolica, omnis congregatio, omnis legio, omnis incursio infernalis adversarii, omnis spiritus exorcizamus!" The demon went back in, then Dean stabbed it,
Kevin's mom said" Eunis!"
Dean said" That's not Eunis."

Sam said" Mrs. Tran, your friend was possessed by a demon."
Kevin said" Have you ever seen The Exorcist?"
She said" Is that what you've been doing all year- watching television? Did you really have to kill her?"
Dean said" The demon would have warned Crowley where Kevin was if we didn't."
" And Crowley is the one who kidnapped you?"
Kevin said" Yeah. He needs me to translate his stupid tablet so he can take over the universe or something."
Dean said" Which is why we need to get it. So that we can slam the gates of hell forever with Crowley inside."
Sam said" So that things like that don't ever happen again."
She said" Prophet of the lord, huh? It does have a nice ring to it. I'll get packed."
Dean said" We're gonna need a safe house since Crowley's been to the cabin, so-"
" Safe house? I thought we were going to get the tablet."
" Uh, we are. You're taking a trip to a demon-free zone."
" And risk letting Kevin fall into the hands of this Crowley again? I don't think so."
Sam said" Ms. Tran, all due respect, Dean's right. Crowley- he's not just a killer. He trades in torment. And if he can find a way to separate your soul from you, he'll take that soul to hell and-and roast it till there's nothing left but black smoke. Look, it's best if you let us handle this."
" I understand. But it's not my soul I'm worried about. It's my son's."
Dean said" Kevin, you want to back us up here? Came all the way down here to pull her out of the fire. Now she wants to jump right back in."
Kevin said" Like I can tell her what to do?"
" All right. Coming with us has conditions- uh, hex bags to stay off the bad guys' radar and, uh, you're gonna have to get inked up."
" Do what, now?"
Sam said" Yeah, uh... you, too, shortstop. Keeps the demons out."
She said" Fine."
Dean said" Really?"
" What, like it's my first tattoo?" She walked away,
I said" Why do I have to wear a necklace? Why can't I get a tattoo?"
Sam said" Because it's illegal."
" Like that's stopped us before. Can I get a tattoo?"
" No."
" Why not?"
Dean said" 'Cause you're a pipsqueak." I huffed,
" I'm over 300 years old."
" Hell time don't count, Riv. And I'm pretty sure that's not how that works, kid."
" Well, that sucks. When can I get a tattoo?"
" You won't need one if we do this."
" How about any tattoo?"
" 16, with permission."
" Would you give me permission?"
" Yes."
Sam said" No." They looked at each other, I smirked,
" I raised you first, I get say. And it's a yes."
I said" Okay!"