Chapter 25

I walked into the map room, eating two pop-tarts at once.
Dean said" Wait. You went running?"
Sam said" What? Why do you look so worried?"
" Let's see. There's Cas, who I told to haul ass here. That was days ago. He's still out there. Um, there's you."
" Me?" He scoffed," I feel great."
" I'm sure you do, but, Sam, you went through the trials. Okay, that put a big strain on you. I just think it's better if you took it easy, you know, and didn't act like you were-" I saw his eyes light up blue,
Zeke said" Possessed by an angel. And he does feel better. A work in progress, of course, but I am slowly healing him."
" That's great. Um, but-"
" I have news. I've picked up chatter among the angels. Not all are wandering around in confusion."
" Yeah, some of 'em are after Cas."
" There is a faction that is rapidly organizing and finding human vessels to contain them."
" Led by Naomi?"
" I have not heard that name, no. But it is this faction's leadership who want Castiel found. You see, Dean, I can be useful."
" So can my brother. So, why don't you go check your email, and if I need your help, I'll let you know."
" Dean."
" I said I'll let you know." His eyes flashed blue again,
Sam said" I mean, you know, Cas is human now. It's gonna take him a lot longer to travel."
" I'm gonna get whiplash."
" What?"
" Nothing. Um, all right, so, I was thinking that if the angels are organizing, then that makes them a lot more dangerous than we thought."
" Why do you think they're organizing?"
" It makes sense. My point is, is that the more of them that are after Cas, the worse it is, so... we got to find him."
———
We're tracking Cas, Dean got back into the car,
Dean said" All right. Well, he's definitely been here. Good news is he's getting cagey. He's using a fake name- Clarence."
Sam said" That's what Meg used to call him. Of course, he doesn't get that's the name of a pretty famous angel."
" What?"
" It's a Wonderful Life." Dean shook his head," Dude, seriously?"
" What'd you come up with?"
" Another angel kill, outside a town called Lafayette about a day's travel east of here."
" What is that, Indiana?"
" Yeah. Body was found in a homeless camp. Insides barbecued, the whole nine."
" Homeless guy."
" No, a pharmacist from Dayton."
" Huh."
———
I was making a circus with black smoke, waiting for my brothers to come back to the car. I laughed as an elephant marched around my head, I smiled, watching the lion roar. Then the doors opened and I saw my brothers,
Dean said" What're you doing, Riv?"
I said" Making a circus." I spun my finger, and a seal rolled on a ball, I smiled at him.
Sam said" Making a-" He chuckled," How bored are you?"
" Deadly. Obviously." I waved my hand and the black smoke went away.
Dean said" These are the moments I question where we went right raising him."

We walked out of a store,
Sam said" Look at these chemicals. Do you even read the label?"
Dean said" No. I read Pie. The rest is just, blah, blah, blah. Listen, when we hit Detroit, we start with the homeless shelters."
" Right, then go to the encampments, soup kitchens."
" Check out places that he might have gone looking for work."
" Yeah, and I can- I can check for vagrancy arrests."
" Yeah, and, you know... odd deaths." We walked down an alley, and hid, the person trailing us followed and they grabbed him, pinning him.
" Who are you?"
" Why are you trailing us?"

Dean said" So, Maurice. You bounty hunters are like delta force reapers. Why would they sic you on Cas?"
He said" He warded himself."
" Naomi hire you?"
" You really are out of the loop. Naomi's dead. Resting in pieces."
Sam said" So then who's running things now?"
Dean said" Answer!"
He said" Her protégée, Bartholomew. He's an up and comer."
Sam said" So he figured we'd lead you to Cas."
Dean said" This Bartholomew, he organizing the angels?" Dean sliced him again,
He said" That's all I know." Dean held the angel blade to his neck," You can kill me. It won't matter. If I don't find Castiel, there are others that will. But do what you want."
" Sure." He killed him.
———
Dean stopped,
Sam said" What's up?"
Dean said" We been chasing our tails all night. No Cas. What's up? I'm fried. I think it's time for Plan B."
" I'm not following." I hate this. I hate Dean for letting this happen. But then again, we wouldn't have Sammy.
" I'm letting you know."
" O-Okay. Um, letting me know what?"
" I'm letting you know." Then his eyes flashed blue,
Zeke said" What is it, Dean?"
" I need your help."
" That is flattering. We've been through this. I cannot be making public appearances."
" Oh, I understand that. I'm not asking you to walk the red carpet, Zeke, okay? I need your help finding Cas."
" It cannot be done. He is warded."
" I know that, but maybe you can use your intergalactic, hyperspace, x-ray eyeballs to find someone else. There might be a reaper for rent on his ass. Could you find them?"
" I could try."

I teleported to Sam and Dean, Dean told me to stay in the car, I don't listen very well, he should know that.
Dean said" Well, you got dinged. And, uh, you. I made a deal with her. Said she wouldn't get kabobed if she brought you back. She brought you back." What happened?
Cas said" You lied."
" I did. I do that."
———
Sam said" You know, you never answered my question. How did you know where to find Cas?"
Dean said" I told you. I went through Maurice's pockets. I found an address and took a shot."
" I never saw you go through Maurice's pockets."
" What are you talking about? I don't see half of the nerdy stuff that you do. It doesn't mean that you don't do nerdy stuff."
Cas said" I am really enjoying this place. Plentiful food. Good water pressure. Things I never even considered before. There really is a lot to being human, isn't there?"
" It ain't all just burritos and strippers, my friend."
" Yeah. I understand what you're saying."
Sam said" You do?"
" Yes, there's more to humanity than survival. You... look for purpose, and you must not be defeated by anger or despair. Or hedonism, for that matter."
Dean said" Where does hedonism come into it?"
" Well, my time with April was very educational."
Sam said" Yeah, I mean, I would think that getting killed is something."
" And having sex." Dean choked,
Dean said" You had sex with April?"
Sam said" Yeah, that would be where the hedonism comes in."
" Shh." Cas nodded," Mmhm, so... did you have protection?"
Cas said" I had my angel blade."
" Oh- Oh, he had the angel blade."
Sam said" Um..."
Cas said" In any event, I- I do now see how difficult life can be and how well you three have led it. And I think you'll be great teachers."
Dean said" Thanks. Cas."
" Are there any more burritos?"
" Uh, yes." Cas walked away, Dean laughed," Our little Cas." I saw Zeke come up," He gave it up to a reaper. That is-"
Zeke said" Castiel cannot stay here. He will bring the angels down on all of us."
" No, no, he's got the enochian tattoo. He's warded."
" He was warded when April found him, and she killed him."
" Yes, and you brought him back, and I thank you for that, but this is Cas, okay, who vouched for you when I didn't know you from jack. The bunker is safe."
" Bartholomew is massing a force. We cannot stand an incursion. Castiel is in danger, and if he is here, I am in danger." I squinted my eyes,
" You're in danger? From who, the angels?"
" If he stays, I am afraid I will have no choice but to leave."
" Oh, no, you can't do that. Sam's not well enough, if you leave his body..."
" I know. I am sorry."