Chapter 5

Sam said" Heads up." Handing Dean his drink,
Dean said" I caught wind of a case on this police scanner. Sounds like our kind of thing."
" I wasn't even gone 10 minutes."
" Okay. That matters why?"
" I don't know, Dean. How about because you haven't said a word to me or River since Prentiss Island? And now, what? You want me to shut up and ride shotgun and act like nothing happened?"
" You want to talk about Benny? Fine. Let's talk."
" Okay. How about he's a vampire?"
" He's also the reason I'm topside and not roasting on a spit in Purgatory. Anything else?"
" Don't pretend I don't get it. I know you had to do what you had to down there."
" I highly doubt you get anything about purgatory."
" But you're out now, and Benny's still breathing. Why?"
" He's my friend, Sam."
" And what about my friend, Amy? She was what? 'Cause you sure as hell didn't have a problem ganking her."
" Well, I guess people change, don't they? We let that werewolf Kate go, didn't we?"
" She was different. She- You think Benny's different? Did he tell you he's not drinking live blood or something?" He scoffed," And you believe him. Wow. Okay. You know, you're right. People do change."
" Yeah. I got a vampire buddy, and you turn your phone off for a year, and River goes dark side." He thinks I went dark side? I didn't go dark side! I'd never go dark side! I.... he thinks I went dark side... he thinks...
" Don't turn this on me." Black smoke started swirling around my ankles, as I kept my head down.
" Look, Benny slips up and some other hunter turns his lights out, so be it."
" But it's not gonna be you, right?"
" You coming or not?" He got into the car, Sam opened my door, but I stayed still, he nudged my shoulder.
" Riv, get in, buddy."
I mumbled" He thinks I went dark side?" I looked up at him, I felt tears in my eyes, my lip shook." D'you think I went dark side?"
" Riv... he- uh..." I scooted in and pulled my knees up, covering my face in my arms. Sam got in,
Dean said" What's wrong with him?"
" You said he went dark side. Dean, that kid looks up to you, okay? He idolizes you, and you just shattered his spirit, and the problem is, he's still gonna idolize you because that's just him."
" River." I felt his hand come towards me, my eyes glowed, the car started on its own and started pulling out. I felt his hand leave me alone," I didn't mean it like that, River. Okay?" Black smoke made a shield between me and my brothers, I started crying.

I was laid across the backseat, as Dean stopped the car at the crime scene.
Dean said" So, guy's old lady comes home while he's working underneath his ride, put the pedal to the metal, and takes half his head off."
Sam said" What, that's it?"
" Yeah, in a nutshell. She says she blacked out, doesn't remember a damn thing."
" Well, that sounds like insanity."
" Yeah, maybe."
" So, how does that make this our kind of thing?"
" Because, Sam, Kevin's in the wind, okay, you're sulking around like a eunuch in a whorehouse, and I can't help but ask myself, when is decapitation not my thing?" He got out, Sam looked back at me,
" Be back, stay low." I rolled over so I was looking away from him, He got out, I stayed facing the seat.

They were in the hospital, Garth was here too, as a Texas ranger, and they also found out Garth was kinda the new Bobby... I don't think that's gonna settle well, especially with Dean. I found out when a hunter nearly got me killed, and tried to take my kill! Because they thought they were hunting a ghost when it was a ghoul.

We were at a bar, eating, Garth got another plate of something.
Garth said" Mm. Thanks. Keep 'em coming. So, Dean, give me the skinny. Where were you this past year?"
Dean said" Why don't we save what I did on my summer vacation for another time?"
" Aw, come on."
" All right. I was in purgatory."
" Like the purgatory purgatory?"
" No, the one in Miami."
" Man, that's balls." Oh no.
" That's not how you say balls."
" So how'd you get out?" Sam looked at Dean,
" What's up with all the, uh, hillbilly hankies? These people know the civil war's over, right?" He's avoiding the- Agh! That's not fair!
" That's a touchy subject around these parts. See, Missouri was a border state. So half the men were confederate, the other half were the union."
Sam said" How do you know all this?"
" I went to college."
" You went to college?"
" Yeah. College, and on to dental school."
Dean said" What, you-you were a dentist?"
" Yeah, just for, like, a hot minute. Where'd you think I got my first case?"
" Let me guess- Tooth Fairy."
" Yeah. Man, I felt terrible when I ganked that SOB."
Sam said" Uh, you killed the tooth fairy?"
" Yeah, man. I mean, not my proudest moment, but it happened. Man, this is good." He took another bite of whatever he got, I looked down, black smoke manifested in my hand. I scrunched my eyebrows together, what, hey! I closed my hand and it disappeared. I felt Dean's stare, I shrunk down a little, trying to make myself disappear, figuratively.