Chapter 49

Sam said" Hey, yo. Individually brewed. Technology, man."
Dean said" Real men don't drink out of cups this small. What is that- cinnamon roll?"
" It's, uh, glazed donut. Look, man, if you don't want it-"
" Nah, it's- Got it. So, any leads on the scanner or the... interweb?"
" Nothing- Not even a car up a tree."
" So right when we're ready to jump back into it, it, uh, goes radio silence."
" Murphy's law."
" Well, Murphy's a douche." Sam chuckled, I smiled," Hey, feel like taking a detour to Connecticut?"
" What?"
" Found it while I was dustbusting."
" One of ours?"
" It's one of Bobby's. And, in total, 27 messages. The only one that counts is from two days ago. Apparently, Bobby's been named a beneficiary in Bunny Lacroix's will."
" Bunny la-who?"
" Attorney said she's an heiress, and Bobby's presence or next of kin is being requested in New Canaan. I figured we qualify."
" How did Bobby know an heiress?"
" Bobby had secrets, man. Like loving on Tori Spelling. If he only knew dean cheated on her. Anyway, road trip? Who knows? Maybe Bobby earned us some beer money."
I said" You know you sound way older than you actually are when you say words like interweb, and technology, man."
" He does realize he's old enough to watch himself now, right?"
Sam said" I wouldn't trust him to watch himself, but yeah."
" Should just leave him in a motel room for a week."
I snarled" I'd like to see you try." My eyes glowed as I glared at him, my teeth barred.
" He looks like a puppy when he gets angry." He ruffled my hair, I smiled, scrunching up my face." I add on, he looks like a puppy all emotions." I tried to bite his hand," Too slow, hot shot."

Sam said" Wow." We got out," Think we're a little underdressed? I mean, the fed threads are in the trunk."
Dean said" You kidding me? For once, we don't have to wear suits." I followed them to the door," You're lucky my waistband's not elastic." He rung the doorbell, it played weird music, then a woman answered the door.
She said" May I help you?"
Sam said" I'm Sam Winchester. This is Dean Winchester. And River Winchester. We're here on behalf of Bobby Singer."
" Mr. Singer won't be coming?"
Dean said" No. He passed away."
" Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."
Sam said" Uh, condolences for your loss, too."
" Thank you. Well, you just missed the funeral, but the family's relaxing inside, if you'd like to join." Dean nodded, and we followed her inside.

She said" Allow me to introduce Sam, River and Dean Winchester."
A woman said" Sam and Dean Winchester of the Westchester Winchesters?"
Sam said" No, uh, no, I don't think there's..."
Dean said" Nah."
" Any relation. Sorry."
She said" No matter. You two are... adorable." Gross. I don't like it here.
Dean said" Oh."
" I'm Heddy, Bunny's cousin, and this is my sister, Beverly."
Beverly said" Charmed, I'm sure."
" And that's Bunny's youngest brother, Stanton- Stan for short."
He said" Come on in, fellas. Join the mourning."
" And his child bride, Amber." I hate it here! Let's go! You want beer money, I'll just steal some!," And then there's Dash. That's the baby of the family. He's Bunny's great-nephew, Harvard business."
Dash said" How do you guys know Aunt Bunny?"
Dean said" We, uh-"
Sam said" We-we-we didn't personally know her. Our-our surrogate dad, Bobby Singer, did."
" Did."
Beverly said" Bobby? Never heard of him. But you can fill us in over the weekend, huh?"
" The weekend?"
Heddy said" Didn't the attorney tell you? Service was today, and the reading of the will tomorrow."
Beverly said" Oh, but you're welcome to spend the night. All the rooms sleep two."
" Or three." She smacked Dean's butt, my eyes flashed purple,
Amber said" Where's Colette?"
Butler said" She quit. Poor dear was so distraught over Mrs. LaCroix's passing. Went off to find herself."
Heddy said" Ashram in India?"
" Uh, clown college in Sarasota."
" Good choice."
" May I have a word with you in the hall in five minutes?"
Sam said" Sure."
Dean said" Yeah." He walked away,
Beverley said" So Sam... tell me... do you... workout?"

Dean said" Charmed, I'm sure." In a weird accent, Sam chuckled," What are these people?"
Sam said" I think they're called WASPs."
" What?"
Butler said" My apologies for being so oblique back there, but I'm doing you boys a favor."
Sam said" O-Okay."
" As you know, Mrs. LaCroix bequeathed something to your Mr. Singer. But the reading of the will isn't until tomorrow, and I would hate for you to have to stick around and be forced to- Well, mingle with the family."
Dean said" Don't worry, Alfred. We know which one the shrimp fork is. Kind of."
" Oh, Mr. Winchester. If you're implying that I don't think you're good enough, i-it's quite the contrary. You're far too good. The LaCroix family is- Well... how shall I say this politely?... Money-grubbing leeches."
" What are you talking about? I thought they were all loaded."
" Loaded- Yes. Rich- No. The recession hit every one of them, and I'm afraid if they knew what Bunny left you, those vultures would try to stake claim. And since the attorney kindly agreed to a hand-off, you don't have to be subjected to their scrutiny." He handed Dean and envelope,
Sam said" Do you have any idea how Bunny and Bobby knew each other?"
" Not in the slightest. Um, now, if there's nothing else, shall I have Olivia show you out?"
Dean said" No, no. That's, uh- We got it. Thanks." They walked away, Dean opened the envelope, it was a necklace," Huh. Kind of fancy to lace a guy like Bobby."
Sam said" You thinking what I'm thinking?"
" If Bunny was banging Bobby, then maybe these rocks are real."