Chapter 14

We got out of the impala,
Dean said" Wow. You know, of all the lame-ass things you've ever said, that's got to be the lame-assiest."
Sam said" I'n sorry, but I happen to think Shemp was a funnier Stooge than Curly."
" Curly was a freaking genius!"
" I always found Curly's work a bit obvious."
" It's supposed to be obvious, man. They're Stooges."

We walked into the motel room,
Sam said" So, we calling James tonight?"
Dean said" No. I'll just call him tomorrow. That drive was a bitch."
" I wonder what he wanted."
" Well, his text said that he needed help. He's a cop. I figured it was work-related."
" Yeah, well, we do owe him."
" The guy saved our lives once, Sammy. I mean, it's not like the guy-"
" Saved our lives?"
" I'm gonna go for a beer run. You need anything?"
" No, I'm good."
" You sure?"
" Yeah."
" 'Cause you did just gank a hellhound, which is no slice of pie, and, uh, there is a mine field of who knows what crap ahead. Just want to make sure that you are okay."
" I'm good."
" 'Cause, you know, we could find another devil dog. You could tag out. I could snuff the son of a bitch."
" Dean, Kevin doesn't even know what the next trial is yet. So whatever it is you're worried about, stop. I'll be ready." Dean walked out, I looked at Sam then jumped onto the bed.

There was scratching at the door, Sam walked to the door and opened it, and then I saw a dog run in and jump onto the other bed.
Sam said" Oh, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Uh... no. Um..." He closed the door, I stared at the dog, my eyes glowed. I looked at Sam," Hey. You friendly? Friendly. Good. All right. You're a pretty dog." He started petting her, she rolled over," Oh, really, you want, uh- You want a little belly scratch, huh? So, who do you belong to? Uh... Right. No tags. Uh, what are you doing here?" Then I saw the lights of the impala,
I said" Oh, no."
" Oh, no. Riv, stay here."
" You're dead."
" No, I'm not." He walked out, I looked at the dog, my eyes glowed again, then the dog turned into a woman. I tilted my head,
" Whoa. What are you?" She smiled at me, I got onto the bed next to her, tilting my head more." Can you turn back anytime you want to? Did you pick what animal you could be? I'd be a shark... or a wolf, or a lion, no... a cheetah. That'd be cool, do you only have to be a dog? Could you pick which dog you are?" She chuckled and ruffled my hair, then the door opened, I saw my brothers. Then Sam saw her, he walked in with a blade.
" All right, who the hell are you?"
She said" Not a shapeshifter, so you can stash the blade. I'm a familiar."
Dean said" A what?"
Sam said" Companion to a witch- some witches split their time between human and animal form."
She said" I get a more accurate read on people in my other persona. Approaching guys in a motel room like this- Well, it gets complicated. My name's Portia. I belong to James Frampton."
Dean said" No. No, no. See, that-that doesn't work for us, 'cause that would mean that our buddy James is a witch."
" Wow. You're quick."
" James is a freakin' witch?"
" He wasn't when you met him, but that last case you worked on with him-"
Sam said" Lunatic alchemist. It was nasty."
" James wanted to learn more about that world- The black arts, witchcraft. It became the center of his life." She walked to them,
Dean said" Wait, so you're telling me that James the cop became a witch because of us? Unh-unh."
" You don't like dogs, do you?"
Sam said" Wait. So James isn't a cop anymore?"
" Sure he is. Homicide detective. His new powers make his work even better."
" Then what does he need from us?"
" Well, something's been happening to him. It started with excruciating headaches, screaming sounds in his ears, horrible nightmares. Unable to sleep or think. He can't work. It-It's like he's having a breakdown. Maybe you can find a way to help him."
Dean said" Well, here's the thing. Uh, witches- not real fans."
" Really? Well, James is a cop with a spotless record. He's used his skills for nothing but good. So why don't you lose the ignorant bigotry for maybe two seconds and give him a shot?"
" That was incredibly hot."
Sam said" It was pretty hot."
I said" What? You guys are weird." She walked back to me, ruffling my hair, I smiled.