Chapter 30

We were in Hartford, South Dakota. I was put in the car while I was sleeping, Dean said I wasn't allowed unsupervised and Kevin was not an option. But I did eat an entire box of cinnamon toast crunch by myself... so, I kinda see his point. Unless they're there to cook, I'm eating whatever I can reach or put in the toaster.

We got out of the impala, at Jody,
Dean said" Sheriff. Laying off the blind dates, I hope." They hugged,
Jody said" Yeah. You bite your tongue, boy." Then Sam and her hugged,
Sam said" So?"
" So. Car was right over there, ass over teakettle. Now, normally, if somebody would tell me that one guy lifted an SUV, I'd tell him to take a flying leap, but after what I've seen..."
" Nothing's impossible."
" Uh huh."
Dean said" And this matches up with the other missing how?"
" Well, four abductions, strong evidence left at every scene- literally."
Sam said" So, first vic was a pastor?"
" Yeah. Door of his study was punched in. And then, the next two- An engaged couple."
Dean said" Locked bedroom window was ripped open."
" Mm-hmm. And then we have our waitress here with the topsy-turvy ride."
Sam said" Any other connection among them?"
" Yeah. They were all members of Good Faith Church here. My, uh, my church group back in Sioux Falls was in a tizzy over it."
Dean said" Hmm."
" What?"
" I didn't peg you for churchy."
" Yeah... you know... choking on the ladies' room floor 'cause of witchcraft kind of makes a higher power seem relevant."
" Jody, are you sure you're, uh, ready to jump back in the fray?"
" This wackadoo stuff keeps coming. More I know, better armed I'll be."
Sam said" Okay, so, we have, uh, missing church folk and super strength. Maybe angels harvesting vessels? Could be a buddy boyle type thing."
" Wh- Angels? You're joking."
Dean said" Don't get your pants on fire. They suck."
Sam said" You said there was a witness."
Jody said" Yeah, well... more or less."

They came out of the diner,
Dean said" So, River, wanna go to church with us?" I gave him the best bitchface I could muster up, Sam smiled, looking at Dean." Come on, buddy, you're the cherry on top."
I said" I only need one brother."
" Oh, ouch. That one stings."
Sam said" Told you he'd threaten."
" Shut up. River, come on, man."
I said" I'm the definition of chaos, and you want to stick me in a church... that's not a good combo, dude."
Sam said" He has a point, Dean."
" See, he gets it."
Dean said" You do this for me, and I'll let you do whatever you want."
Sam and I said" No, you won't."
" No, I won't... but, Sam, shut up. River, buddy, come on. You owe me. I raise you, you owe me."
I said" I didn't ask to be brought into this world, and you raised me because your father hated my guts." I grinned at him, as he huffed,
" Okay, I shoulda seen that one coming. Fine, fine. I give up. You win, you manipulative little con artist."
" You raised me." He sent me a quick glare, I laughed and jumped into the car, backseat.

I was bounding around the motel room, I had the zoomies, Sam came in,
Sam said" Hey." I ran to him, bouncing on my heels,
Jody said" How was church?" He closed the door behind him, I tilted my head, Dean? Sam laughed,
" Well, it turned into confessional. Apparently, two of our vics, Honor and Pastor Fred, did the dirty." He walked over to Jody, I stared at the door then ran across the room.
" Oh, well. They're not the only ones. Barb Blanton, our missing bride to be-"
" Yeah?"
" Her mom said she heard Barb and her fiancé in Barb's bedroom."
" Going at it?"
" Well, she said she heard sex noises, then Barb crying, then Neil telling Barb it didn't count because it was under 30 seconds. And then, two hours later, she heard a smash and saw a flash of light under the door."
" Blue light?" Jody nodded,
" You know, I'm thinking whatever this thing is, it's not going after virgins, even born-again virgins."
" It's taking virgins who break their chastity vow."
I said" Not dragons."
" So dragons are off the list."
Jody said" I'm sor- Dragons? Those are a thing?"
" Yeah. Too many things are things."
I said" Dean?"
" He'll be back soon. Zoomies?" I nodded, as they finally went away, I slumped against the wall, panting.