Chapter 45

I was zoning them out, I could feel the rage in me, that wanted to be let out immediately. But... I think if I let it out, I'll hurt whatever is near me... and Sam is right next to me. I won't hurt Sammy.
I heard the guy say" Name's Cole. Listen, Sam... Every night... Since I was 13 years old... Every night, I close my eyes... and all I can see is your brother... and all that blood... and my daddy. Now. I know Dean's family and all, but he gave you up. And you have no reason to protect him- None. So help me. Please."
Sam said" Look, I'm sorry about your dad. Whatever happened... Dean had a reason. I don't know how to tell you this. There are monsters out there."
" You don't think I know that? I did two tours in Iraq. Special Ops, Darfur... The Congo. I've seen suicide bombers and child soldiers so hopped up on speed that they could barely talk! Oh, but they could sure as hell shoot an AK."
" Not that kind of monster."
" Don't tell me about monsters! 'Cause I've met my share."
" I mean vampires! All right? Werewolves. Monster Monsters. Look in the bag. Go on. Take a look. It's right there." He walked to the bag, and pulled out the holy water.
" I guess even psychos need to hydrate."
I said" It's holy water."
" Holy cow."
Sam said" Look, I'm not a psycho. And I'm not lying."
" Well, you see, that's exactly what a psycho liar would say, so... see my dilemma? I guess... we are just gonna have to do this the other way." He put on gloves then pulled out a hammer, I looked to Sam.

He punched Sam,
Cole said" Where's Dean, Sam? Where is he?" He punched Sam again," Where is he?!" Then he grabbed Sam, I breathed heavily, pressing into his hurt arm.
Sam said" Shove it up your ass."
" Okay. Okay. Okay, okay. I guess it's tome to crank up the volume, then." He put the hammer on Sam's knee," Right there." Then his phone rang," Ain't you lucky, boy?" He grabbed the phone," Hey, darling." He walked away," No, I'm good. No, everything's fine. Everything's just fine. Yeah, go ahead. Put him on. Hey. Hey, big guy. How you doing?" He walked out, I looked at Sam, Sam looked at the knife on the ground. It opened then zoomed to him,
He whispered" Don't cut me." I tried to control it but I couldn't... it was getting too much, I groaned, then squeezed my eyes shut. We were let go, then my shirt was grabbed and he dragged me with him.

Sam called Cas,
Sam said" You need to get to Beulah, North Dakota- Now. Yes. Crowley and Dean were there. We got to pick up their trail. Yeah, um... not so much. Cas... Dean's a demon. The mark- I-I guess it-it just messed him up. I don't know. Right. Now, Cas, listen. I know you're not feeling so hot, but this is kind of an all hands on deck situation here, so... Yeah." We walked up to a truck for sale, I looked at Sam.
———
Sam talked to a bouncer that Dean hurt, then drove off, he looked at me,
He said" You okay, buddy?"
I said" Yes." My voice was still distorted, it won't go away,
" You sure?"
" No."
" Wanna teleport back to the bunker, maybe you need some sleep?"
" I'm fine."
" If fine means..."
" Not dead."
" All right. You look like you might kill me, so I'm not pushing it."
" Smart."

Sam and I walked out of the motel room,
I heard Crowley say" Hello, Bullwinkle." I turned around, my eyes glowed," You miss me?"
Sam said" So much."
" You're here for Dean. I'm here to give him to you."
" What?"
" Little prat's bad for business. He's... uncontrollable. Must be the mark. Anyway, Dean's your problem now- again, forever."
" Then where is he?"
" First, there's the small matter of my finder's fee."

Sam and I walked into the bar Dean was in,
Dean said" Hiya, Sam, River. Hey, Harv, why don't you go grab a smoke?" The guy walked out," Who winged you?"
Sam said" Does it matter?"
" Not really. I told you to let me go."
" You know we can't do that. By the way, your, uh, pal Crowley... sold you out."
" Sounds like him." He stood up, grabbing the first blade,
" Dean, hold on a second. You don't have to do this. Look, we know how to cure demons. You remember that?"
" Little latin, lot of blood." He walked away from us," It rings a bell. Did you ever stop to think that if I wanted to be cured, I wouldn't have bailed?"
" That was Crowley."
" It really wasn't."
" It doesn't matter, all right? 'Cause whatever went down, whatever happened, we will fix it."
" Will we? 'Cause right now, I'm doing all I can not to come over there and rip your throat out... with my teeth. I'm giving you a chance, Sam, River. You should take it."
" We're gonna have to pass."
" Well, I'm not walking out that door with you. I'm just not. So, what are you gonna do? Are you gonna kill me?"
" No."
" Why? You don't know what I've done. I might have it coming."
" Well, we don't care. Because you are our brother. And we're here to take you home."
" Hmm." He laughed," Ahh. You're our brother, and we're here to take you home. Yeah, what is this, a lifetime movie? Huh? With your puppy-dog eyes? Oh, thanks, Sammy. I needed that." Sam pulled out the cuffs," You really think those are gonna work?"
" There's one way to find out." Then something came through the window, a gas bomb. I started coughing, my eyes flickered, I grabbed Sam's jacket and tugged him out the door.

We got out, falling to the ground, coughing, then he was punched, then I was-

I woke up, and saw Sam splash Dean with holy water then cuff him.
Sam said" Stop! It's over! It's over, Dean."

Sam and giving Crowley the first blade, then he got into the impala, which demon Dean has trashed.

We were headed back for the bunker,
Sam said" This thing is filthy."
Dean said" It's just a car, Sam."
" It's just a... car. Wow. You really have gone dark."
" You have no idea."
" You know what, Dean? I saw what happened back there. You could have killed that guy, and you didn't. You took mercy on him."
" You call that mercy? Imagine you spending your whole life hunting down the guy that knifed your father. When you finally find him... he whips you like a dog. How do you think that feels? That kid's gonna spend his whole life knowing that he had his shot and that he couldn't beat me. That ain't mercy. That's the worst thing I could have done to him. And what I'm gonna do to you, Sammy, River... well, that ain't gonna be mercy, either."