Chapter 46

Sam wasn't allowing me to be in the dungeon with him as he got our Dean back. I don't think it's fair but he doesn't want me in there, so... I won't be in there.

I was tossing and turning, my eyes rolled back and I convulsed... I stopped and my room went hurricane. I yelped as I got smacked in the face with a book, I ducked and covered my head with my arms. It stopped, I coughed up some more blood, then my trash can came to me and I puked again. I got up and the trash can moved away from me.

I snuck up to the dungeon,
I heard Dean say" Maybe I was just... tired of babysitting you and River or always having to yank your lame ass out of the fire since forever. Or maybe-maybe it was the fact that my mother would still be alive if it wasn't for you. That your very existence sucked the life out of my life." That's not Dean... that's not my brother talking...
Sam said" This isn't my brother talking."
" You never had a brother- Just an excuse for not manning up. But guess what. I quit."
" No. No, you don't. You don't get to quit. We don't get to quit in this family. This family is all we have ever had!"
" Well, then, we got nothin'."
" Would you say that to dad?"
" Dad? Oh, there's a prize. Here's a man who brainwashed us into wasting our lives fighting his losing battle. Oh. Ooh. Is this you manning up?"
" This is me yanking your lame ass out of the fire." I heard Dean grunt," You're welcome." Then Sam walked out, he saw me, he sighed then held out his hand, I grabbed his hand and he pulled me up. He looked at me," How much did you hear, Riv?"
I said" Tired of babysitting..."
" You know that's not Dean, right?"
" Yep."
" You really need sleep, bud."
" You do too, bud." I pat his chest then walked away, I heard him scoff,
" Why do I even try..." I turned and opened my mouth," Eh, rhetorical question, don't need an answer."
" Got it, gigantor." I walked away, knowing he rolled his eyes at me, I smiled a little then headed back for my room.

Sam opened my door, he signaled me to stay quiet and follow him. I got up and followed him.

We moved through the map room, Sam grabbed keys from the drawer, we heard something clatter. We moved again,
I heard Dean yell" Come on, Sammy! Don't you want to hang out with your big brother? Spend a little quality time?" I whimpered, no, no, no! He's out! That's not good.

We got to electric, Sam shut it down, the red lights came on.
I heard Dean say" Smart, Sam. Locking the place down. Doors won't open. I get it. But here's the thing. I don't want to leave. Not till I find you."

Dean said" Sammy! You're just making this worse for yourself, man! Oh, by the way, you can, uh... blame yourself for me getting loose. All that blood you pumped into me to make me human- Well the less demon I was, the less the cuffs worked. And that devil's trap- Well, I just walked right across it. It smarted. But still..." Dean walked into electrical, the power came back on, Sam shut the door, locking it." That's your big move?"
Sam said" Listen to me, Dean! We were getting close, okay? I know you're still in there somewhere. Just let me finish the treatments. Dean?" Then we jumped back as something hit the door, then a piece of the door flew off.
" You act like I want to be cured. Personally, I like the disease." He's made a hole,
" Dean! Stop that! Look, I don't want to use this blade on you!"
" Oh! That sucks for you, doesn't it? 'Cause you really mean that."
" Look, if you come out of that room, I won't have a choice!"
" Sure you will! And I know which one you'll make. Isn't that right, Sammy? But, see... here's the thing. I'm lucky. Oh, hell, I'm blessed. 'Cause there's just enough demon left in me that killing you ain't no choice at all." My eyes glowed, black smoke circled me,
I said" Go." My voice was distorted, I breathed heavily, letting myself go a little, just enough to cause damage. Sam looked at me then ran down the hall, Dean got out,
" Sammy?" I made him freeze," Oh, I'll kill you too, Riv. Just Sam's first."
" You don't scare me." I slammed him into the wall," You can't hurt your brothers, because we're gonna get you back to normal!"
" I wanna be like this."
" I don't care." I kept him pinned to the wall, the hammer in his hand was slung away from him." You're my brother but I'll hurt you if I have to!"
" Then you better start. 'Cause I'm not your brother, Crowley was right, you were a missed opportunity. All that chaos and power in you, got to be overbearing, just let it out."
" Crowley?" I tilted my head,
" We coulda used you to deal with everything, should have, but no... you were a kid, worthless unless we needed you to read something."
" I'm not worthless!" I got angrier, black smoke surrounded us,
" Oh, look at that! You are worthless, River. Didn't really want to keep you in the first place, you were needy and whiny, and ruined all my fun."
" You're not Dean! Not my Dean!"
" Oh, but I am, just way better. Should have left you on a curb the second we found you and your mommy shredded." My lip shook, stop! Ignore him, River, this isn't Dean!," Oh, are you gonna cry?" Then I was pinned to the wall, by my neck, he pressed down hard, I choked, my eyes rolled back. I clawed at his wrist, digging my fingers into his hand," Hm? What was that?" Everything became numb, then he dropped me," Sammy?!" My eyes rolled back-

I jolted up, black smoke went to hit the figure in front of me, till I heard his voice.
Cas said" River, are you all right?" I stopped the black smoke,
I said" Where's Dean?" I got up, wobbling, Cas grabbed my arm, balancing me, I took in a steady breathe." Where is he?"
" Dungeon." I pulled from Cas' grip and walked to the dungeon, he followed behind me.

Sam put in another needle,
Sam said" What the hell are we doing to him, Cas? I mean, even after I gave him all that blood, he still said he didn't want to be cured, that he didn't want to be human."
Cas said" Well... I see his point. You know, only humans can feel real joy, but... also such profound pain. This is easier." Dean stirred, Sam untwisted the holy water flask. Dean looked up, his eyes were black, then they went back to normal, he groaned.
He said" You look worried, fellas." Sam splashed him with holy water, he didn't burn.
Sam and I said" Welcome back, Dean."

Sam and I walked into the library,
Sam said" Hey."
Cas said" How's he doing?"
" He's, uh... he's still a little out of it, but better, I think. I mean, I think this whole thing- The blood cure and the... all of it- really wrecked him, you know?"
" Yeah."
" On the plus side, he's hungry again, so I'm just gonna go pick him up a big ol' bag of crap food and stuff it in his face myself. You mind keeping an eye?"
" Yeah. Sam?"
" Yeah?"
" You realize- One problem is solved, but one still remains. Dean is no longer a demon. That's true. But the mark of cain- That, he still has, and sooner or later, that's gonna be an issue."
" You know what, Cas? I'm beat, man. One battle at a time, you know? So I'm just gonna go grab my brother some cholesterol. And then I'm gonna get drunk." We walked away from Cas, heading to the car.

Sam said" You okay, Riv?"
I said" I'm fine."
" You sure? I mean, you told me to go and I heard you get strangled."
" Wasn't a big deal."
" Buddy, you passed out."
" I've had worse. Reminder, dying. Or broken arm." I held up the cast,
" Okay, okay, want some food?"
" Chicken nuggets."
" Oh, wow, real food for once."
" Bite me."
" Sorry. You should try and get some sleep, I know what you eat."
" M'kay." I laid down, closing my eyes, trying to fall asleep-

I was lifted up, I whined loudly in protest of being moved from the comfortable seat.
Sam said" Hey, buddy, wake up. Eat something."
I grumbled" Food is useless."
" I'll throw it in the trash." Cas put me down, I walked to the table and grabbed the bag that smelled of chicken nuggets, Sam chuckled.
" Throw my food away, I burn books or cut off your hair."
" Go eat, grumpy."
" Bite me, loser." I started eating my food, my eyes shut, and my head dropped into my arm.
" Okay, this is torture. Go to bed, River, you can eat later. For once, you're actually tired so get."
" M'kay, Sammy." I got up, and walked into a wall," Ow."
" Two steps left." I took two steps and kept walking, I was really tired now.