Chapter 13

I walked up to Dean's room, Sam was already leaning against the doorframe,
Dean said" And it's clean, too. There's no funky smell. There's no creepy motel stains." Sam threw a gum wrapper for the trash can and missed," Really?" Sam put his hands up,
He said" Sorry." He went to pick it up,
" I'm gonna go fix us some grub." He walked out, I ran back to my room, and slid into the wall. I groaned as I hit the floor, I smiled then flipped up, shaking my head. I heard Sam chuckle, I turned around and saw him,
" You okay, buddy?"
I said" Mm-hm." I held out my arm, Rexxy came to me, I snapped my fingers and my notebook came to me too.
" What's that?"
" A notebook."
" What's in it?"
" None ya."
" Punk."
" Jerk." He rolled his eyes then walked away, I smiled and put Rexxy on the bed, then put my notebook on the desk.

Sam was reading,
Dean said" What you reading?" He came in carrying three plates,
Sam said" Sort of, uh, everything." He put one plate next to Sam, then the other next to me.
" Oh, good. Somebody's gonna have to dig through all this, and it ain't gonna be me." Sam and I looked at the burgers, as Dean sat down.
" You made these?"
" We have a real kitchen now."
" I know. I-I just didn't think you knew what a kitchen was."
" I'm nesting, okay? Eat." I looked at Sam then picked up the burger, taking a bite, suspiciously." Huh?" It was actually good, like actually." Yeah."
" Wow. You're welcome." Then his phone rang," Yo. What? Kevin? Kevin?!"
" Something wrong?"
" Guess." He stood up with the burger and walked away, I grabbed my burger too and followed him.

We walked onto the boat, they had their guns ready.
Sam said" Kevin? It's us." We walked in more, then heard banging from the other side of a door. Dean opened it, Kevin was puking.
Dean said" Found him."

Dean said" Wow. You look like hammered crap."
Kevin said" Yeah."
Sam said" Are you sleeping?"
" Not really."
Dean said" Are you eating?"
" Hot dogs, mostly."
" Sure, yeah- Breakfast of champions. Look, I'm gonna feel dirty saying this, but you might want a salad and a shower."
" I know, and I've been getting bad headaches and nosebleeds, and I think maybe I had a small stroke. But it was worth it."
Sam said" What was worth it?"
" I figured out how to close the gates of hell."
Dean said" You- Come here, you smelly son of a bitch." Yes! I smiled, they laughed, Dean hugged Kev.
Sam said" Okay, okay, so what does this mean? What are we looking at?"
Kevin said" It's a spell."
Dean said" And?"
" And it's just a few words of enochian, but..."
" Oh, here we go."
" The spell has to be spoken after you finish each of the three trials."
Sam said" T-Trials like, uh, like Law & Order?"
" More like Hercules. The tablet says, whosever chooses to undertake these tasks should fear not danger, nor death, nor... a word I think means getting your spine ripped out through your mouth for all eternity."
Dean said" Good times."
" Basically, god built a series of tests and when you've done all three, you can slam the gates."
Sam said" So, what- God wants us to take the SATs?"
" I-I guess. Uh, he works in mysterious ways."
Dean said" Yeah, mysterious, douche-y ways. All right. Where do we start?"
" I've only been able to crack one of the tests so far, and it's gross. You've got to kill a hound of hell and bathe in its blood."
" Awesome."
Sam said" Awesome?"
" Yeah. Hey, if this means icing all demons, I got no problem gutting some devil dog and letting calgon take me away."
Kevin said" Where are you gonna find one?"
" Well, hellhounds like to collect on crossroads deals. So all we got to do is track down some loser who signed over his special sauce 10 years ago, get between him and Clifford the big dead dog- Easy."
" Doesn't sound easy."
Sam said" It's not."
Dean said" Look, you get on the net- see what you can dig up. I'm gonna go for a supply run because we need goofer dust and the kid needs to eat something that not ground-up hooves and pigs' anuses- Not that there's anything wrong with that." I followed Dean out, not trusting him to get the right stuff.

Dean and I walked into the boat,
Dean said" Did you know that there are, like, 6,000 kinds of tomatoes? Did you find anything?"
Sam said" Yeah, demon signs, 10 years ago, all centered on Shoshone, Idaho."
" Okay, well, big-time mojo means a big-time freak. So, anybody have a horseshoe shoved up his ass?"
" That's one way of putting it." He turned the laptop around," Meet the Cassitys, small-time farmers who struck oil on their land in February of '03, which is weird because geological surveys-"
" Yeah, you had me at weird. All right. We thinking deal?"
" Best lead we've got."
" Well, let's go visit the beverly hillbillies."
" All right."
" You stay here, work on step number 2, and uh, if you come across anything about hellhounds, drop a dime, okay? 'Cause between the-the claws and the teeth and the whole invisibility thing, those bitches can be... real bitches. I got you a present." He grabbed the pill bottles," The, uh, blue ones are for the headaches, and the greens are for pep. Don't OD."
Kevin said" Thanks?"
I said" I'll stay here and make sure he eats. And doesn't die." Sam and Dean walked out, I looked at Kevin, then waited till I knew they gone. I grabbed the green pill bottle." You're eating before you take pills. I'll fix you something."
" You know how to cook?"
" Uh, yeah, definitely." He turned away from me, I looked at the bag of food... yeah, I've got this.
———
Kev called Dean, he found something,
Dean said" Hey, Kev, what's up?"
Kev said" Hey, Dean, good news, uh, I think... kind of."
" Don't oversell it."
" Sorry. Um, I found something on the tablet, uh, about hellhounds. Uh, this mean anything to you- The dire creatures may be seen only by the damned or through an object scorched with holy fire?"
Sam said" Like with holy oil?"
Dean said" It's got to be. We could use a window."
Kevin and I said" Or glasses."
" I think we still got some jesus juice left in the trunk. All right, I'll take care of the, uh, the x-ray specs you stay here. Do not let JR and the gang out of your sight, all right?"
Sam said" Right. Hey, Kevin, uh, you did great, man. Get some sleep."
" Okay, thanks." Kevin put his phone down, then looked at the green pill bottle, he grabbed it.
I said" No, Kev!"
" I'll be fine, we've got to do this. And anyways, you're here so I can't OD."
" Not funny."
" I'll be fine, River." I sighed then sat down, waiting for my brothers to get back.
———
I teleported to my brothers, I looked at them as they immediately looked into the backseat. I coughed, squeezing my eyes shut before opening them,
Dean said" Why are you doing that?"
I said" You were taking too long."
" We're fine."
" Did you kill it?"
" Yeah, Sam did."
" Trial one down?"
" Yeah, bud."