No. 2

August 2nd
Terrell, TX
__________

Time had been flying by since the phone call with Ms. Brooks occurred. And Norene was in disbelief that this big change was about to happen.

Norene took the first train out Wednesday morning with the intention of making her way to Terrell, Texas.

Her family of course was still appalled by this ambitious decision. They didn't understand where she was coming from at all. This was beyond just finding her a suitable job. Her parents emphasized that it was okay if she just stayed home and waited it out.

But she knew somewhere there was a little shame in the fact that the eldest of their children at 27 years had yet to find themselves.

Her younger siblings had a plan, had a laid out idea with a cushion to fall back on but Norene didn't. She simply didn't know what she wanted nor what she needed.

She doubted she would find it in Texas but maybe the change of scenery would assist her in where to look.

The train ride was compact and carried a distinct odor. The trip was long and bumpy and yet Norene couldn't find it in her to sleep.

She watched the passing states and cities, the trees, the water, the sky and clouds. She imagined what her experience would be like when she got there.

She didn't interact with any whites on the train she sat beside a little black man named Mr. Jenkins who told her tales about his wife whom he loved.

It was sweet and something to keep her mind off of how far away from home she really was.

She didn't know how much longer she could hold herself awake even in this tense state she was in. Her eyes struggled to not close until she gave in.

She dreamt of sunsets and flowers until she was rudely awakened moments later by the abrupt halting of the train.

It was time for a new beginning. "Goodbye now Ms. Nori! You be safe out here girl." Mr. Jenkins shook her hand.

"Thank you sir." She smiled back grasping her luggage and making her way off the train. She had a new pep in her step that was shaken when that Texas heat hit her for the first time.

"Dear Lord!" She hissed under her breath. "No wonder why people call Texas hell... it sure does feel like it." She dabbed at her forehead already feeling sweat form. She guessed she didn't need her rain coat at the moment. She would over heat herself.

Nori took a breath of that hot air before  she made her way out of the station to start looking for a cab. But before she could, she noticed a man by a nice black vehicle parked along the side of the road and he carried a sign with her name on it.

She bit her lip looking between the cab area and the specific vehicle before slowly making her way to the man.

She was very hesitant but when the man saw her he seemed to be prepared. "Ms. Norene Michaels?"

Nori nodded holding out her travel information for him to see. He nodded stiffly. "Ms. Brooks is waiting on ya. You can hop in the back now." He went about loading the car with her luggage.

"I didn't know she was sending a car for me." Norene admitted when the driver made his way back to the front seat.

"She realized her mistake telling you to get a cab to her residence. Them drivers ain't gonna take a negro anywhere near the residency of the upscale South." He stated honestly.

Norene didn't even think of that. It was hard enough getting one to stop up north. Imagine the south.

"What's your name sir?" She inquired. "Hank ma'am." He nodded to her.