No. 11

Half of this chapter got deleted somehow so I had to improvise. This was one of my favorite chapters so I needed to add a little more spice to make up for whatever I missed.

Norene woke up this morning with a new mindset. And that was to focus on her work and only her work.

But first things first she needed to isolate Georgia. She didn't want there to be a misunderstanding between them.

Norene made sure she waited until she saw Georgia alone to corner her. "Hey." She spoke softly. She witnessed the panic on her face and immediately walked closer placing her hands on her shoulders.

"Georgia please wait! I promise I'm not judging you at all." She stressed to the lighter girl. Georgia looked down in distress.

"That's why I'm here." Was all she said. Norene knew that meant her family kicked her out. "My daddy is black. My momma is white. I was already considered an abomination...then to make it worse...I like women just as much as I like men, maybe more."

Norene frowned at that. "You're not an abomination. You are a beautiful young lady who God treasures Georgia. I'm so sorry you've been mistreated honey."

That was when the water dam broke for the girl who burst into tears on Norene's shoulders. "I'm so sorry Norene please don't tell no body!" She cried through sobs.

"I won't I absolutely won't." She rubbed her back. They stayed like that for a moment before Georgia looked up at her with watery hazel eyes. It felt like she had a mother.

"You're the best Nori." She gave a weak smile. "I try. Please don't work too hard today. And I have already talked to Maggie..." She watched Georgia avoid eye contact.

"You really like her don't you?" Norene smirked. Georgia scoffed before sighing in defeat. "I do..." she sniffled a little.

"I met Maggie first when I came here. She is kind of the opposite of me. Shy, quiet, modest, but beautiful... She is perfect, way too good for me. Besides I don't think she will stick with me to the end you know? It isn't realistic."

I do understand that a little.

She had no words of advice to offer her. She had nothing to promise her. So she gave her another hug of comfort.

"Thank you for being so understanding. I appreciate it so much." Georgia whispered. "Of course." Norene let the girl go to help out with the side dishes and she started on the main plate for breakfast for the day.

She didn't get far when she heard the big boots coming from outside. Yet she remained calm as she put her focus on the task in front of her of cutting up the bell peppers.

"Morning." He drawled as he sauntered in slowly. "Good morning Mr. Brooks." She kept her eyes down at the knife and the peppers.

She ignored him for a while  trying to keep her promise of avoidance. She didn't hear his heavy boots leave which meant one thing. He was still here. Great.

She continued to ignore him and prep in silence knowing that he was staring holes into the back of her head. And possibly other areas. But she refused to look.

"Tsk tsk. Now Norene what have I done to earn the cold shoulder." He sauntered into her eye view with a nonchalant demeanor. Norene  could've said a lot but responded with what was on her mind.

"Your wife. She really seems to love you." She added. "She's my ex wife. But you knew that already." He countered. Was he trying to make this impossible for her?